Ch.10 Decoy

Decoy

Heading into the silent headquarters and dark hallways, I sprint my way to the 24/7 monitoring team. They watched the city through cameras and organised the Five Reds behind the scenes. On the second level, through glass panes, is the 'Media Office' which is what they liked to call it so it didn't come across as suspicious in any way.

I open the door, ready to smack Kyle's giggling stupid face. He is surrounded by the Monitors, who congratulate him with big smiles and pats on his back.

"Hold up," a nerdy voice interrupts the commotion. I do not advance from the door any further when a lab attendant tampering with the ring by a lab-table, interrupts the applause and congratulations for the Five Red's member. Kyle's face drops, he knows bad news is coming, "This isn't the ring we need."

My heart sinks as I hear this statement and I glare at the older man wearing glasses, inspecting the ring before everyone. A silence has ensued as everyone waits for an explanation.

"It's fake, a decoy to distract from the real ring," he explains, "We all had our suspicions and now they've come true. The real ring must be locked away somewhere safe in the Black Lair Clubhouse."

"No!" Kyle whines, starting to cry.

It was odd to see a grown man cry so easily. The vaccine he had an allergic reaction too must have fried his tolerance for hard emotions of any kind, not just reduced his thinking to a three-year old's capacity.

"It's okay, buddy," one woman pats him on the shoulder, "You nearly succeeded."

"It was my mission!" I slam the door shut, catching everyone's attention, "And I retrieved that ring; he stole it from me outside this building to claim the victory."

"I'm sorry... who are you?" the older guy holding the ring looks at me with skepticism.

"I work here!" I complain, holding my hands out, "That was my mission and I do not appreciate Kyle getting the pat on the back when I nearly died getting that ring."

"A fake ring," the older man comes forward, "I'm Boris, please stand still so I can confirm your identity."

Everyone is looking on at me in disbelief while I roll my eyes.

"Don't roll your eyes, keep them still," Boris scolds me as he approaches with a small black device, "I'm scanning your iris to confirm you work here."

I stand still so he can do so.

His device lights up green and flashes my details.

"See?" I rub it in.

"I do," he sounds shocked, "I'm so sorry... Alyssa, is it?... now... whether you or Kyle retrieved that ring or not is beside the point. We need triumphs in this city, not failures, nor half-complete missions. It's the wrong ring, so you'll need to find a way to retrieve the actual–"

"Give me a car, right now, from the garage," I snap, cutting him off, "I know the vehicles are only for top agents but the Black Lair Clubhouse is unattended right now... I need to be there."

There is a massive pause.

I assume the silence is due to the fact no one can quite believe my demands.

However, I soon notice their eyes dart behind me.

I look over my shoulder to see James the Brains about to enter.

I control my breathing, I was so over drama. I just wanted to complete my mission. I try to find some patience, digging deep for my zen. Eventually James swings open the door, so hard it nearly shatters.