Ch.34 Villains vs Heroes

Villains vs Heroes

"I'm going to shoot him in the head," Dale is more than straight to the point. He is both blunt and crude. I instantly pull away to witness the emotionless cool and icy state of his purple tyrian eyes. He doesn't blink, nor does he seem to regret his statement as he gages my reaction.

Besides the hand on my waist, his other hand clamped around my wrist had eventually slipped through my too-willing fingers. So, our hands are clasped at this stage. But now, I curl my fingers. I dig my tougher than diamond nails into the back of his hand until I do manage to pierce his skin, at least after some incredible force from me. Dale let's me go, unfazed by the blood on the back of his hand as he inspects it with a curious brow after he has released me.

I shake my head, not smiling as I walk away from him and not sure why he sounded so sincere about killing his adopted son.

Or, why he is letting me walk away so easily. That certainly wasn't like Dale.

I make my way to the back of the slightly raised platform above the dance floor and I watch as Dale happily takes the opportunity to walk through the crowd, assessing all the threats. I, well, I'm now assessing him as the real threat and possibly the only threat here.

If he meant what he said, I couldn't be near him. I couldn't understand why... or how... or even the meaning behind his plan.

What's worse is he failed to explain it to me.

My logic suggested there was no way he'd kill Casey. But my logic also figured that he would. And Casey might survive. But was that my heart or my logic on that last part? No one could survive a bullet through the brain.

I lean against a concrete pillar near some alcohol and I watch as Dale is eventually approached by a few braver Government officials, who dare to speak a few words to him. He happily answers with his arrogant smile. It's fair to say, most of the people he speaks to, eventually scowl and move off quickly. Dale undoubtably seems to enjoy their discomfort.

"Hey, murderer," I jerk at the familiar voice and I turn to see I've been intercepted by Coal with Dash and Jackle behind her. Unbelievably, Dash is on crutches while Jackle the jelly is eating jelly. And Coal... well... she is simply dressed in a coal coloured dress, her hair tightly pulled back in a bun as she gazes over me with her smokey, judging eyes, "You finally getting sick of your psychopath's company?" Coal asks, smirking, "But then again, like minds attract like minds. Perhaps you're crazy too."

"Let's not talk about me," I growl and cross my arms over my chest as I raise my chin to glare down Jackle and Coal, the ones with the attitude. Dash was just a kid in middle school. 16 or so I was sure. He... well... he didn't just look like he didn't want to talk to me. He looked like he didn't want to be here at all, "Who's going to replace James the Brains and Kyle the Child in your heroic Five?"

"We've got one spot planned for someone special. As for the fourth, we've been conducting try outs," Coal explains, vaguely.

"I'm curious, though, who do you have lined up?" I ask, "Hopefully someone with a bit of class, this time round."

"The kid you brought with you," Coal smiles widely, "I believe he goes by the name... Casey?"

"What kid -?" I pretend to play dumb, until Casey pops up behind me, jumping into view.

"This kid," Casey turns to me with a critical look before showing a bright smile for Coal. I try not to roll my eyes as he stares her down.

"How would you like to be a part of the Five Reds?" Coal asks, fearless and full of great pride as she speaks of her workplace. Obviously she had been upgraded back to her status in the main Five Reds squad... and HQ had probably assigned another poor girl the task of retrieving the ring.