Ch.52 Foundations for Insanity

Foundations for Insanity

"Alyssa, you've come to save me from all your dolls and their glares?" Daniel asks hopefully as he reclines on his pillows, his arms crossed over his chest. His handsome face is exhausted and he doesn't seem himself.

"Are you sure you're not sick, Daniel?" I speak quietly so I don't awaken the kids who are now sleeping, "You don't seem yourself."

"I just want to sleep, soon, honestly... without having three women stare at me like they're about to slit my throat the moment I shut my eyes," Daniel is also still grumpy, clearly.

"Is there something you want to tell me?" I ask him, while my eyes narrow at his glazed over gaze.

"Nope," he looks into the distance and doesn't bother continuing the conversation.

"Did you have any encounters with any lurking figures upstairs? A giant man? Black leather suit? Long steel coloured hair?" I wait for Daniel to have a single moment of recollection, but his eyes barely dart or react to my words.

"Nope," he answers shortly again, "Talk about random. Can I go to sleep now, Alyssa? Tomorrow is going to be a big day."

"Sure, get some rest... Inertia," even as I test using his favoured super name, Daniel still doesn't react.

"Fine, get some sleep. Also, girls, follow me," I look to Strawberry, Blue and Raven, "Let's head up to the garage."

"We're going for a drive? Woohoo!" Blue whispers excitedly and skips ahead while Raven rubs her palms together.

"I've been waiting for you to say that," Raven nods to me while following Blue. Strawberry is left twirling her long blonde hair around a finger as she gazes at me with a worried expression.

"What?" I ask, confused by her worry.

"We're not leaving again, are we?" she asks, "I think this place feels like home now."

"We're not running away again, but we'll be leaving temporarily. And we're not telling STRIKE - so let's go quickly before they stop us," I walk with a reluctant Strawberry to reach the lift with Blue and Raven.

We all hop in together and when I see their miss matched outfits, I decide we have to make a quick pit stop with the costumes up in the Black Lair Clubhouse.

"We're going shopping first, dolls," I speak this, uncertain of how they'll react. Their reaction is delayed but when they do react, it's the complete opposite of what you'd expect. Raven and Strawberry shrug while Blue just looks completely indifferent, "Follow me, try to smile. I think you'll enjoy this."

****

Blue decides to wear black short-shorts and a white tank top and I tie up her blue hair for her in a high pony. In the mean time, Raven and Strawberry are choosing their outfits.

"We're done," Raven eventually calls to me and I turn to see her wearing a black suit with black sunglasses.

"Are you trying to look like Jose?" I ask, raising a brow. She in turn grabs her glasses and lifts them up to glare at me under them.

"No?" she snaps.

"Do you approve, boss?" Strawberry steps out wearing a leather white tube top and a white skirt... with thigh high black boots.

"Nice, do you approve of Raven's outfit, Strawberry?" I ask.

"She looks cute," Strawberry pats Raven's hair and kisses her on the cheek. Blue rolls her eyes and steps around me to gaze over both their outfits.

"Raven is copying Jose - because she secretly looks up to him like a big brother. And Strawberry, you're just wearing an updated version of our old outfits back in the lab. White -" Strawberry cuts Blue off before she can continue.