COOLING | TWENTY-FOUR

I lift the box up and even though it's heavy, my tired muscles push through the soreness and my back strains as I walk up the driveway. I try to mask my discomfort for the sake of others, but with sweat starting to form and the shortness of breath, including the part where I didn't eat breakfast, is starting to put a wear on me.

The new house was a surprise for everyone. Tobias and I didn't tell anyone that we brought it until we actually had the keys in our hands. Ever since then, the boys have been going there for about three weeks to get some stuff done like painting and buffing the wood floors and cleaning the carpets.

The house is pretty simple, nothing too extravagant. It's a two story southern style home, it's obviously been here for a while, considering the wood exterior and the fact that it's "southern" style. I was able to save up some money and have the child support from Eric go towards the food and kids while I can focus on the house with my own money.

I walk into the house the smell of fresh wood hitting my nose. When you first walk in, the beautiful mahogany wood floors shine and you are met with a staircase with the same wood, and two openings on the left and right. The left one goes to the living room and the right one goes to the dining room and beside the steps is a hallway that goes to the kitchen door, bathroom and closet. Then there is a large glass French doors that goes to the patio.

Walking in here is such a relief. It gives me a nice, fresh start to a new life and better family. This is my last child so a new house will definitely be the icing on the cake.

I travel to the kitchen and place the box of silverware and plates on the granite countertop. Looking out the window I see my parents and Christina's mom and dad with their daughter, Rose, playing with the kids. They're blowing bubbles, tossing balls and jumping around. I'm glad that they have something to do or else they would be bugging me all day.

As I lean against the countertop, hands sit on top of my shoulders, scaring the hell out of me. I turn around and see Tobias glaring at me, "What?" I question, furrowing my eyebrows at him.

"You aren't lifting any boxes are you?" He narrows his eyes at me. I gulp hard and avoid looking into his burning gaze. He knows how to make me speak and I will not hopefully.

"Nope." I walk towards the seats at the table in the middle of the kitchen, "What makes you think that?" I don't let the relief show on my face when the pressure on the balls of my feet ease up.

Tobias crosses his arms at me and gives me a "really" look, "Because that box wasn't in here." He says, "And no, no one else brought it in here because everyone is upstairs but you. Shauna and the girls are working on the kids room and the guys are helping me with the bed frame."

I sigh and toss my head back, "Fine, I got one little box, I'm fine! I promise. I'm pregnant, not crippled. I have been pregnant before and I know my limits."

"It doesn't matter. This time around it's different, you are 7 months pregnant. . . carrying a boy. And lately you've been feeling tired more. I don't want you passing out on me. Okay." He tells me softly as kneels in front of me, "I love you."

"I love you too." I mutter looking down at my hands. He presses a kiss to my forehead before going back upstairs.

In one of the boxes in the kitchen I find some silverware and the silverware container. I sit down at the table and start to sort out the knives, spoons, and forks. The sound of a chair drags me out of my concentration and I look up to see Shauna sitting down beside me with a sigh of relief.

"Hey girlie," She smiles and sits down beside me and starts to help me with the sorting. Meeting Shauna has become a great blessing. She is a good friend and checks up on me every so often. I still don't know why I was so nervous to meet her and the rest of the "family" but I'm glad we did. Lynn, her sister, is still trying to warm up to me.

"Hey."

"We're almost done upstairs. We have the crib set up and Four is finishing up your bed complaining that he wants you to go to bed once the bed is made." I furrow my eyebrows at her and she gives me a look, "Four was always that way about the stuff he loves; being protective and such. So it's both a blessing and a curse."

I chuckle, "Exactly, we still have so much to unpack and we gotta get the girls down for their nap after you leave. Then, I wanna sort some clothes."

"You don't need to be pushing yourself. I know you hear it a lot but don't do that. Four wasn't really a people person until he met you. He's changed so much and it was a sight to see him adapt so quick to you and the kids—becoming a family so quick. It shocked us all," Shauna smiles, "So if he were to lose you or the baby, nothing would be the same. When he loves, he loves hard. Now you're apart of the family, so I'll be having eyes everywhere." Just like that she's gone.

I just sit there and think over that. Tobias does care about me and the kids. Everything moved so quick and I'll be dammed if I lose him.