Chapter 7

It is seven o'clock in the evening and Jane and I are preparing to leave for Charles' house warming party. Jane has leant me an autumn green dress which rests a bit above my knees and I have teamed it up with a gold necklace, black woollen tights and ankle boots. My hair is formed in a braid which sits on the side of my shoulder.

"Are we ready?" Jane asks, pacing up and down the room, frantically closing drawers and smoothing out her bed.

"Quite," I say. "Don't look so worried Jane, everything will be fine," I reassure her. Jane is very shy and gets nervous in social situations. I myself find that I am a bit nervous, mainly because I'm going to be spending time with the family and friends of Charles that I've never met before. Deep inside myself, I can't help but feel slightly self conscious that we will be judged by the posh and aristocratic attendees like my new nemesis William. However, I defiantly rebuke myself and return to my strong willed nature; who cares about what they think? We are just as worthy as they are.

"Come on, lets leave quickly before the girls make a bigger fuss than they already have," I add with a hint of humour, in order to ease her nerves. She responds with a smile and we go on our way.

~

I ring the doorbell to the left of the huge front door of the Bingley house, which opens in a matter of seconds. "Jane and Eliza, I'm so pleased you could come," Charles beams.

Our jaws both drop in amazement as we take in the general splendour of the grand house. He guides us into the dining room.

"Please, help yourself to a drink," he leads us over to a huge mahogany table covered in a fancy tablecloth, layered with different types of food and drink, with a giant cake consisting of four layers in the centre.

Jane and I each help ourselves to a glass of Scholer and fill a plate with some finger food and nibbles to share, before sitting down to talk to Charles. I notice mostly that Jane looks somewhat distant and pre-occupied, which I know to be because of her nerves. I am so engrossed in conversation that I do not notice William enter the room. When I happen to glance up, his eyes meet mine from the opposite corner, so I look away and subtly turn my chair around.

Some time later, Charles politely dismisses himself to mingle around the room with his guests. On my left are a group of girls who introduce themselves to be Charles' cousins, who appear very friendly and we converse with them.

A while later, Charles along with his mother stands up to make an announcement. "I'd like to thank everyone who could make it today," he says. "Especially all my friends who are here and my new friends," he directs to us.

"Now lets have some cake!" His mother laughs. Charles looks a lot like her and from what I've seen they have the same likeable character.

At 11pm, Jane and I make our way to the hall to retrieve our coats after saying our goodbyes. Just as we're about to leave, the doorbell rings and when answered by Charles; my mother, Kitty and Lydia are standing on the doorstep grinning and giggling.

"Oh sweet Lord," I groan quietly, laying my head down on Jane's shoulder from behind her.

"Hello Charles," my mother speaks a little too energetically. "We just had to come around for a nosey, we hope you don't mind," she laughs, echoed by the girls.

Charles looks surprised but doesn't let himself down. "Of course Mrs Bennett, come on in, all of you."

They enter ahead of him into the dining room followed by Charles and lastly Jane and I, with our heads down in embarrassment. They each fill their plates with too much food and mum has a glass of wine.

"Great," I moan. "They won't be leaving anytime soon. Jane can't even answer, for she is too embarrassed and upset.

After mum has talked non stop for an hour and the girls have tried to gain the attention of every guy in the room, all that remains from the party apart from Charles, Caroline and his parents are ourselves and William. Caroline and her parents are in the kitchen and the rest of us are seated together.

Mum at this stage is drunk and making humiliating conversation. "Isn't Jane so beautiful Charles, you know she's had many admirers over the years, your not the first believe it or not," she chuckles. Charles is shocked and doesn't know how to respond. "There was once one guy, can't remember his name, and he would leave poetry through the letterbox for her."

Eager to stop my mother from her rant, I interrupt, "And would you believe it, he tried to use the power of poetry to win her love," to which Charles looks relieved and laughs.

"Unusual indeed, but I thought poetry was the food of love," states intimidating William bluntly and arrogantly, who we all turn to look at.

Without batting an eyelash, I reply, "My personal preference is verbal communication."

"To encourage affection?" he disapprovingly questions.

"Yes, such as insightful and stimulating conversation. Which can be applied to those who don't particularly interest you, even if the person is not your type and from the lower ranks of society."

As realisation reaches his features he is left speechless, to which I respond with a knowing gaze. And with that I practically drag my mother and sisters out of the house, before we offer our thanks and goodbyes to the Bingley's and finally leave.

A/N: I can't believe that from the last chapter there has been at least 100 reads, which is almost 800 in total and we're only on Chapter 7! So thank you all so much. X