Chapter 41

"We meet again," she states, her sharp eyes analysing me with disgust. 

"I'm so glad I must say that we happened to find each other here, for it has saved me a degree of effort. You see, I have been looking for you," she continues.

I gulp as I take in her words with shock, trying to gather together some courage. This proves difficult however seeing as I was already upset before I saw her.

"I have nothing to say to you, I owe you nothing," my voice wavers slightly, but I allow myself to stare into her blaring gaze.

"How dare you," she hisses angrily. "It is my duty to solve this revolting business concerning you in my family."

"I'm afraid I have no idea what you are talking about," I answer.

"Oh no, Miss Bennett, I can sense exactly what plans you have. I understand that you have an interest in my nephew, and mark my words, you will never get him. Under my orders."

Although I feel myself becoming increasingly emotional and anxious at her unsettling tirade, hope gleams within me. Does that mean that William does want me but his aunt hasn't allowed it?

"And before you start getting any ideas, he doesn't want you."

I'm crushed instantly by her words, no doubt denying that she is telling the truth.

"Not in the slightest," she reveals smugly, in a matter of fact tone. "He has met someone else recently, and they are very much in love. Someone who is vastly more superior, and is at least reasonable and has class."

My heart is broken, as I struggle to conceal my emotions. The only thought running through my head is that he has met someone else. He loves them. Although I had predicted this, finding out the reality is unbearable.

"You've been nothing but an inconvenience in his life," she continues. "He realises that now. How do I know? Because I've been the one who has helped him recover from being the subject of such poor confrontation.

My heart is beating so hard in my chest that I fear it might burst from sorrow.

"However, knowing the type of person you are, I am here to ensure that you will not try to reach out to him. Why do I think this is possible after all this time? Because your sister has become an item with Charles, his best friend. A decision which I'm sure he will live to regret no doubt. Also, don't think I'm not aware that your other disgusting sibling, the highly controversial one, who has moved within two miles from Pemberley estate. Your all very clever aren't you."

My pulse is ringing in my ears and fury now consumes my features. It's one thing to say hurtful things about myself, but when my family is mentioned I can't cope with it.

"Therefore, I will not tolerate you attempting to reconnect with him. There is no place in my family and never will be for any opportunities of scandal and unworthiness to affect it," she shouts.

"Do I make myself clear?" she moves closer and glares straight into my eyes.

Beyond destroyed by her outburst, I will not allow her to completely take away my pride.

"To yourself maybe, but not to me. You have insulted me in every possible way and have the nerve to tell me how to live my life, when you have completely misjudged the people around me and my own motives. Now if you will excuse me, I have better company to attend to."

"You selfish girl," she yells out to me, as I turn around and walk away as fast as possible to escape her.

Exasperated but not overcome, she claims,

"You will amount to nothing!"

A/N: Thank you all so much for 38k and your support as always. You allow me to bring this story to life, which is such a joy💖💖