Chapter 9

I sit on my top bunk with a blanket wrapped around me, watching the rain furiously pelt again the window. The sky is bleak and grey and the wind howls continuously.

"Great," I roll my eyes, due to Jane's current disadvantage and my mother's stupidity.

Boredom has now engulfed me, as my sister has gone and I am stuck indoors. I attempted to take out the novel that I am currently studying at University; Great Expectations, but I am in no mood to read today. I always feel restless if I don't get my daily source of walking.

I peel the blanket off my shoulders, before climbing down from my bunk and decide to go downstairs.

Mum is hanging the washing over the clothes horse, with a look of satisfaction on her face as she hums a tune. I frown at her as I walk past and flop down on the sofa, reaching for the TV remote.

"What a shame you didn't attend with your sister Eliza, I'm sure Charles has many rich friends," she says, her pitch of voice increasing with excitement.

"None that would interest me," I claim, with William firmly in mind.

"Oh your too stubborn, you'll end up an old maid my dear if your not careful."

"That's exactly my plan at this rate," I reiterate and turn my attention towards the TV.

After a while of flicking indecisively through the few channels available, I notice that I have various missed calls and texts from my sister. I immediately sit up straight and check them at once.

*This is so bad. I arrived drenched from the storm and they offered that I stay the night.*

The next one reads, *I had to get a shower to warm myself up. Not feeling great so I'm resting in one of their spare bedrooms.*

I read the texts aloud to mum and she nods knowingly, having been proven right. "All according to my plan, don't worry," she beams.

Dad overhears from the kitchen and pokes his head through the door.

"Well, if Jane does die, at least we can say it was for the sake of this Charles fellow," he jokes.

"People do not die of minor illnesses, besides she is not yet fully ill," mum rebukes him.

"Yes, but she may perish at the thought of having such a mother," I tease, much to mum's disapproval and dad's delight.

I must visit her at once tomorrow, I think to myself determinedly. She must feel so out of place and like a burden to them.

"Poor Jane," I sigh.

A/N: I'm now at 1.49k reads!!!!!!! Thank you all so much😘😘😘