Chapter 30

"You're here," he remarks in disbelief, his eyes taking in my terrified form.

"Y-yes. I was here for the induction, I applied to be one of the maids," I manage.

"That's great," he reveals, his face falling as my discomfort is evident towards the arrangement. In my mind I no longer want the job since he is here, which he can clearly tell.

"Are you staying here for the summer?" He asks delicately, trying to put me at ease.

"Yes, with my grandparents, they live nearby," I reply, failing to conceal the emotion in my voice.

"Oh really," his sad eyes brighten at this information, with evident concern embedded in his features.

"I'm really sorry to intrude," I say suddenly, looking at him more directly than before. "I had no idea you lived here and when I found out we were told you would be away for the summer."

"No, I'm glad your here," he emphasises, looking heartbroken as I back away, passing his sister who looks very surprised.

"I'm sorry, please excuse me," I gasp, leaving the room. Once I am finally out of view from the house, I let the tears fall.

~

"Eliza, come and hear our exciting plans for tomorrow night!" Calls granny later in the evening.

"William Darcy has just rang," she says in a fancy accent, "And has invited us to have dinner with him tomorrow evening at Pemberley!"

"No way...what?" I question in surprise, panic rising within me.

"He looked up our number on your job application and then rang. He says he knows you well and that you seen each other today, my dear why didn't you say so?" She inquires.

"I...why does he want us to have dinner with him?" I ask, avoiding the question.

"He was pleasantly surprised to hear that we lived so close to him and would like to meet us. And he spoke very fondly of you, very fondly I dare say. He would very much like you to meet his sister and uncle."

"I'm not sure that's a good idea, I don't think I even want the job anymore," I moan putting my head in my hands, unsure about how to handle the situation.

"Why not, don't you like him?" She wonders.

"No, it's not that."

"Well, whatever the reason, you should take the job because you're already a member of staff and you were very excited about it before. Besides, William seems like a lovely young man."

"Ok," I sigh, giving in. "I'll take the job and we can have dinner with them."

"Great, I knew you would come around. He's seems exactly the type of guy for you, that William," she laughs.

She has no idea.

A/N: 11.6k!!! I can't thank you all enough for all of your support, hope you enjoyed this chapter❤️