Chapter 34

It is mid morning, and Jane and I along with Mary and Kitty are seated around the dining table silently, finishing up breakfast. Dad is resting in his armchair, brows furrowed as he examines his newspaper, the stress of the last few weeks evident in his features. Mum is still upstairs in bed.

Suddenly the door bell rings, which is unusual for this hour, particularly on a Saturday morning.

"Get the door please, Eliza," dad issues to me, presenting his gratitude through a light smile that doesn't reach his eyes.

"Of course," I reply, tenderly touching his shoulder as I pass.

Once I reach the door and open it, I freeze in shock as I take in the figure before me.

"Lydia!" I scream. I grab my sister and hug her tightly, sobbing hard. I ignore the two policemen standing by, focusing my attention purely on her. She feels frail, and her frame looks smaller than I remembered.

After overhearing my declaration, my family run outside and gather around Lydia, taking turns to frantically embrace her. Moments later, I hear the sounds of thudding travelling down the stairs from mum.

"Please tell me...is she...oh, my Lydia!" She cries, taking her into her arms. "My dearest, mummy's here!" We all cry harder at mum's reaction, with their reunion being overwhelming.

"I've missed you all so much," Lydia sniffs, drying her tear stained face with a tissue.

"How can we ever thank you," mum directs towards the policemen, beaming at them.

"Your welcome," reply's one, "But I'm afraid we need to go inside, there are other matters that we urgently need to discuss with you."

"Oh no, what now?" Dad asks.

"My goodness," mum exclaims, "What is going on?!"

Lydia looks terrified, before revealing,

"I'm pregnant."

*2 hours later*

"George Wickham!" Shouts mum in disbelief, "I cannot believe that disgusting fellow!"

The police, who have now left, informed us that she ran away with Wickham, and that we should expect a media frenzy which has now began. Over the past hour, we have been watching the BBC news channel on TV which has blown up on the subject. Wickham has been charged for his suspected dealings with Lydia and has been released on bail, which is very unsettling to think.

I am filled with anxiety and guilt over the fact that I had an opportunity to prevent all of this from occurring. I should have warned my sister about Wickham's character before she went to Liverpool, but instead I was too caught up with my own self-conflicted problems.

"This is terrible!" Mum angrily remarks, stirring me from my worries.

"How could you have done this to us Lydia...what on earth possessed you to run away?! Ever since you all were born I've fought so hard to provide for you all and to give you the best opportunities...and now this!"

Lydia silently cries, with her head in her hands. Although mum has every right to be upset, she doesn't need to react this way in front of Lydia, who desperately needs her support at this moment.

"And now your expecting a baby," she continues, "In these conditions! You have brought an awful scandal upon your family!"

"I can't bear it!" She gasps, dropping to the floor and wailing furiously through her tears.

Jane and I rush to her side immediately. "Mum, calm down and try to breath deeply," I instruct.

"Out of my way!" She gestures with her arms for us to move.

"I must ring an ambulance, she needs help," declares dad in a rare show of panic.

After a brief but anxious wait, the paramedics arrive and urgently tend to mum. They escort her out to a waiting ambulance, with dad by her side.

"We're all ruined, don't forget that girls!" She shouts before the door slams shut, and she is taken away.

A/N: Hey guys! Thank you for helping me reach 17k! Woah that was a heavy chapter to write, I'm sure that you weren't expecting there to be such a stir up in events lol!💕💕💕