Chapter 22

We hurry down the staircase, stopping in surprise as we hear Robert's voice calling out to us.

"I'm so sorry about her, allow me to drive you both home," he offers, having caught up with us.

"No, don't worry," I emphasise. "We can get a taxi home."

"The taxi service is rubbish out here," he remarks. "Plus, I'm travelling to near Hertfordshire myself tonight myself."

"Ok, thank you," we reply gratefully, before leaving the house and climbing into his black Range Rover nearby in the private parking grounds.

Charlotte and I sit in silence for the first stretch of the journey home, both of our minds pre-occupied with analysing the events that just took place.

"I'm sorry again," Robert sighs, sensing our shock.

"I just can't believe it," I half laugh, before continuing, "It all occurred so fast."

"She isn't the nicest person," he admits.

We talk over the duration of the journey. Charlotte falls asleep towards the end, her head resting against my shoulder.

"Do you think you'll see my cousin William again?" Robert friendly asks.

"I'll be honest, no," I admit. "It's just been by chance that I've seen him before and I was very surprised to see him today, I find him unbearable."

"Really," he says surprised. "We're quite close, Will and I."

"Oh," I reply, not wanting to discuss him anymore with Robert.

"That's very strange," he echoes his surprise once more. "He gives great advice as well and will always help someone in need. In fact, he recently organised tirelessly for his close friend to get a work placement for university last minute," he babbles.

"Why is that?" I choke, feeling my chest tighten with shock as realisation washes over me.

"Well, he'd been seeing this girl that lived nearby who wasn't showing an interest in him and the family were a nightmare," he laughs. "So he told poor Charles the reality of his situation and advised him on what to do. It would have been too difficult for him to continue to leave a street away from her after they had broken up, especially with her family who would no doubt get involved."

"So he separated them," I manage to reply, finding it difficult to suppress my emotions.

"Essentially yes, great guy," he smiles. "We're here now, where am I dropping you both off?"

"Eh," I gasp, unable to think logically as my mind is clouded with shock. "Charlotte's house is this way," I eventually direct.

My heart races and I feel sick to my stomach as I am tormented by Wickham's voice ringing over and over again in my head,

"Stay away from him Eliza, he's dangerous."