Chapter 35

A heavy silence fills the room following their departure, as we are all in shock trying to process the events that just happened.

"That was scary," I eventually sigh.

"I hope she will be ok," Jane says as she runs her hands through her hair, sounding as though she is on the verge of tears.

"It's all my fault," Lydia begins to loudly sob and wail, gasping through her tears. Jane and I immediately move closer to her in an attempt to comfort her.

"It's not, mum just has her own way of dealing with situations. It's the stress from the last few weeks,' I reassure her. "Allow yourself to have a good cry, but don't upset yourself. What's done is done, your going to be fine."

She suddenly throws her arms around me and cries into my shoulder. I am momentarily taken aback by my little sisters actions, feeling very protective as I embrace her back.

She lets go moments later, letting her body rest back against her seat.

"I'm so exhausted," she states hoarsely, "From the stress of it all, I wish I could go back in time and not have done it."

"Do you want to tell us what happened?" I lightly ask.

She nods, reaching for my hand before beginning.

~

"I'm going to go to the shop and get us what we need," I say to Jane hours later. Lydia lies asleep on the sofa, drained from the recent events.

"Do you want me to come with you?" She offers.

"No it's fine, stay here and keep an eye on Lydia. I won't be long."

As I prepare to exit the house, I notice that the news channel on TV that is still playing has diverted back to the scandal. They state that they have with them people who know Lydia, who want give their opinion on the situation.

"Oh no, I thought we were done with this," I mumble, stopping to pay attention.

Shockingly, the faces of Michael and Elaine flash on to the screen, who appear to be loving the attention.

"I know the family, and would like to say that I am utterly shocked but unsurprised at what happened," Michael emphasises with disgust. "I agree," chimes in Elaine, "Such terrible behaviour, they will not go far in life, especially the girl-"

"I'm turning this rubbish off," I exclaim angrily.

"Could this day get any worse?" I overhear Jane sigh, as I exit the house.

The cold air makes me shiver as I step outside, causing me to zip up my coat and stuff my hands in my pockets. The sky is dark and dull for three o'clock in the afternoon, reflecting our family's current unfortunate events. I feel paranoid walking past the houses in our street and passing recognisable faces and strangers, uncomfortable that they may be judging me for Lydia's scandal.

Our family must be cursed, I crazily and half-seriously think. First Jane was separated from Charles, then I have been suffering over William, who I them realise has no doubt heard about the recent news. It's probably made him hate me even more than he already does - which I can't even bear to think about. Then Lydia, which has made mum mentally unstable and dad overburdened from the stress of it all, and expectedly not being very helpful and supportive towards us.

I push these thoughts away as I arrive towards the shop, in order to neutralise my expressions. This fails to last for long as I freeze in shock, having noticed Wickham himself, his back to me as he stands at a cash machine.

"Don't even think about it, avoid him," my subconscious rightly tells me. However, fury fills me and I can't seem to help myself. I quickly walk towards him, preparing to confront him.

A/N: Thank you all so much for making me reach 22k, and I hope you enjoyed this chapter😘😘😘