Chapter 25

Just when I thought I was done with him, I think, rolling my eyes.

I quickly glance towards my bedroom and after noticing Jane inside, I lock myself in the bathroom to read it in private.

I sit on the edge of the bath, my heart rate increasing as I frantically straighten out the folds on the page and begin to read. After addressing me, he writes;

"I will not take back what I said to you, but if I may, I will address the two things you have accused me of.

My father adopted George Wickham whenever he was a young boy. He treated him like a son, and I thought of him as my own brother.

We were both very close until the tragic passing of my father three years ago. I was out of town and Wickham had been with him the day he died. They were both horse riding whenever my father fell from his horse and suffered a head injury. My father felt mainly fine afterwards and refused to receive medical attention, and Wickham carelessly failed to insist on him to do so or to inform the house staff or me about the incident.

Whenever I returned the next day, my housekeeper told me that my father had been rushed to hospital after falling ill during the night. By the time I made it to the hospital, he was already dead. Wickham then fled with friends up North for two weeks as a means of running away from his problems, missing the funeral.

Whenever he finally returned I was cold and resentful towards him, firmly placing the blame on his behalf. I demanded that he leave and he agreed only to do so if I gave him his part of my father's will. I agreed and let him stay for a few more nights to make any necessary arrangements.

On his last day he took my sister for a walk around our outside grounds, stating that he wanted to privately say goodbye to her. I felt suspicious of him but persuaded myself that he would do her no harm.

Whenever they failed to return after an hour and weren't answering any of my phone calls, I went out to search for them and eventually rang the police. I was beginning to lose hope until later that night, my sister was escorted home in a terrible state. Wickham later admitted to the police after being forced to come clean that he had planned to keep Georgiana hidden so that he could blackmail me for more money." I feel disgusted reading the information, thinking about how I would feel if the same were to happen to one of my own sisters. Continuing on, he writes, "I could not forgive myself after what had happened and vowed to dispise Wickham for the rest of my life.

In terms of the events that I mentioned which were so disgusting to you, I had no intention of being cruel. I acted upon my own instincts based on what I had witnessed, which Charles agreed with. It was in the service of a friend, nothing else.

With regret,

William Darcy.

I let the page fall from my hands and cover my mouth in shock.

"Oh no," I gasp, "What have I done?"

A/N: Thank you so much everyone for making me reach 7k!!! I didn't think that was possible! Thank you for voting as well, I love you all❤️