Chapter 8

It is Sunday morning, and the whole family are slouched lazily around the dining table, finishing up breakfast. Jane and I are as embarrassed as we are exhausted from the night before and mum is unsurprisingly hungover.

"My head," she moans repeatedly, as she attempts to hold an ice pack over it with one arm and eat a slice of toast with the other.

"We heard you the first time, mum," I complain.

"I still don't get why we couldn't go last night," remarks Lydia. Before Kitty can join in on what could potentially become a squealing match, dad puts down his newspaper and gives them both a warning glance.

"Absolutely out of the question," he replies in a firm tone.

The silence in the room is disturbed when Jane's phone buzzes on the table. She picks it up and stares at the screen, no doubt reading a text message as joy spreads across her features.

"Charles has asked me to go to London with him!" she exclaims.

"No way!" I grin, moving over as she lets me read the message.

"His family have another home there and they want me to join them for dinner," she says giddily.

"What great news!" cries mum, the hangover now forgotten. "Are they going to bring you there?"

"No, he says they left late last night and understands if I can't because I'd have to make my own way there and back. Can I get a lift? Otherwise I would have to get the train and navigate my way around chaotic London which will be difficult.'

"No, the journey and exercise will do you good," she answers defiantly.

"Mum, let dad drive her down," I state. However, her mind is already made up as she shakes her head. Dad looks displeased with mum's decision but doesn't get involved.

"It'll take longer to get there,' she sighs. Even when upset or defeated, my sister never loses her temper.

"The answer is no Jane, now go upstairs and start getting ready if your going," she sings, getting up from the table and humming as she enters the kitchen.

After a while of Jane and I pondering in silence, we both make our way upstairs. She chooses to go to London and I accompany her an hour later to the train station.

On my return, I enter the kitchen to have a snack but become distracted when I overhear mum and dad talking outside through the open window.

"It's meant to be a storm later, don't you see - my plans all set!" she speaks. "So she will turn up soaked to the skin and they'll have to let her stay overnight because they won't send her home in weather like that! That means more time for her to spend in his company. Aren't I a genius?"

"My God woman," dad remarks. "You are something else."

A/N: I want to thank everyone for helping me reach 1k reads, I'm so happy! Xx