XIV.

• chapter fourteen •

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    After I get released from the hospital, Soryu takes me to his condo.

    "I'm sorry I put you into such a frightening situation." He speaks up once we've settled in.

    I'm a bit upset with him. I thought he'd never come back. I thought I lost him. He wasn't there when I needed him but it's not like he had control over the situation. I'm very sensitive because I'm pregnant. But I get it. I won't hold a grudge against him but I am a bit upset with him. "It couldn't be helped." I give him a smile, reassuringly. "As hard as it was, I believed in you. But I can't believe you had that plan. You did nothing but hide things from me."

    "Don't be so angry. I had to do everything I could to make sure Kyo didn't know I suspected him." He says. "Eisuke and the others laid the groundwork but I was unsure right up to the end whether to use you as bait or not."

    "Really?"

    "Yeah. But that night, after you said that, I made up my mind." He smiles.

    Shit. What did I say? "When I said what?"

    "That you'd believe in me, and wait for me." Soryu's face suddenly falls. "But I didn't realize I put our family in danger. I'm sorry, Reina."

    "No, it was my fault. I didn't tell you. But I didn't know how. I was between a wall and a sword. I didn't want you to go to prison with me carrying your child in mind and not find me there when you returned. It was going to be too much of a burden." I look down, my eyes becoming glossy. "I'm sorry."

    "Even if you did tell me, I would've done the same thing I did." I look at him. He sits up straight and suddenly his face grows stern. "You know there's only two choices in the mafia world. Kill or be killed... You either do it or don't."

    "I do know,"

    "But there's one more thing. Whether or not you believe you can do it." I search his eyes. "You believe in me, Reina. When you said you'd wait for me, it gave me courage. But now I'm hearing you say you were planning to leave..."

    "I was difficult for me, Soryu." My vision blurs. "I didn't want to leave you. But..." I take a breath. Why are we discussing this again?

    "Even if you did leave me, I would've found out you're pregnant one way or another and I wouldn't allow you to avoid me and not let me see my child." I tear slides down my face. "But I'm glad that didn't happen."

    Now I have everything I thought I lost.

    Soryu presses his lips against mine and it soons turns more than a peck once I kiss back. A warm happiness rises within my heart. He didn't leave me.

    "Can I ask for one favor?" I pull back and ask.

    "What is it?"

    "I won't ask you to stop hiding things from me. I'm sure there will be some things you can't tell me and vise versa but..." I pause, searching his eyes. "No matter what, I want you to always choose to be with me because I always choose you before anything else. We have to work together more from now on. For us and for the baby." 

    "Reina..."

    "We have to let each other know what's going on."

    Soryu takes my hand and squeezes it tightly. "I understand. I promise." He answers in a  quiet voice as firm as his grip on my hand. I squeeze his hand back, making sure his promise is real. He then slowly leans in for another kiss, proving each other's promises, affirming our feelings for each other.