XXII.

chapter twenty two
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Breathe in, breathe out. Breathe in, breathe out...

I do the breathing exercise to calm down my anxiety as I wait for the arrival of the Devil, even though my breaths come out shaky. It's Monday evening, the day of the meeting with the boss of Latin Royalty. We made it on time. Last night we landed in Miami, Florida, it took us about two days to arrive.

I was received at the entrance of the bar-club and lead into the VIP section in the back. I thought it was going to be in a restaurant? Well... this was the address we were given so we have no choice. Something that grabbed my attention was the women dressed in Quinceañera dresses with numbers stuck on their waist, walking around the catwalk by the polls with timid looks on their faces. They faced a crowd that sat near the catwalk, mostly men, lifting a hand when a number was called out.

My eyes haven't left the scene since I got here. It's the middle of an auction of human trafficking! What is this!? And this place is owned by the Latin Royalty mob. My eyes search the crowd for a black haired woman, especifically Jade, who is blended in with other people, next to Marquez. Our eyes meet and I can see from afar that she too is uncomfortable with the situation and wants to do something about it. But we can't.

We can't make a scene.

My eyes continue to look around as I sip from my cold glass of water to ease my tensed muscles. There's security guards and other intimidating looking men that lounge around, taking in the scene on the other side of the place where the strippers put on a show. I don't recognize anyone else but Jade. I know there's a few hidden in the air vent in case something happens to me but besides them and Delgado is hiding in the restroom, I only have a receiver to hear both Adrian and Soryu.

"Adrian," I whimper out his name after another girl is sold in front of my eyes.

"I'm sorry, Reina, but there's nothing we can do about them." I swallow hard to pass down the lump in my throat, though it doesn't work. I rub my stomach as I feel it tense up again. Okay, calm down, you're agitating the baby. I tend to forget not every mob has the same morals as us. Some really do the actual dirty work.

"Adrian, I need to go to the restroom," I haven't ate anything but I feel like throwing up what I had earlier today. "I don't feel good."

There's a sigh. "Where is he?" he mumbles.

It's been an hour since I got here.

This whole thing caught everyone off guard, it's not in the place we were told before. In the restaurant where we were first told to meet, we had a whole plan and blueprint ready. But it was changed last minute and our plan doesn't work for this place. Our security is nowhere near tight. The rest of the BC and Dragon members are surrounding the area outside. Adrian stays inside a van down the street, while Soryu, Samejima, and Inui are outside, ready to take action.

I drink some more of my water when I hear Soryu's voice come through. "Reina, did you go to the restroom?"

"No..."

"Do you still need to go?"

"I really don't know," I say. "I feel sick, though." I look down at my hands. They're shaking. God... get a grip! This is serious!

"Listen to me, Reina, calm down as much as you can." I start my breathing exercise again. "Good, good," I hear him mumble. He sounds strained. This wait is making everyone anxious, it feels like eternity. My heart has calmed down a bit and so has the tension in my stomach. I place my hand over it again. Though she's still moving, and quiet uncomfortably. That's why it's hurting.