3. Wherever you turn

Aiden had been seeing this dream ever since the accident. He could hear her voice calling out from everywhere. Uncle Aiden!
A voice as sweet to ears as a bird singing, soft and warming; a child's voice.
He lost his niece Lena in a car accident, and he has never again seen a peaceful night.
This nightmare has been hunting him for months and he still can't get over it. He's doing everything he can to fix the little girl's death. But can he?

He woke up on the other side of the bed, it was 8 in the morning. He closed his eyes again and tried to go back to sleep, but he couldn't. He sat on his bed, lost. He looked back at Eva who was still sleeping.
While he was lost in his thoughts, she woke up.
"Hey... Good morning." She said but he didn't reply.
"Aiden, what's wrong?" She sat up in bed and moved closer to him. "Is there anything bothering you?" She softly put her hand on his shoulder.
"It's nothing." He stood up and went straight to the bathroom where he locked himself in.
"Hmm. Alright then?" She didn't care much about it so she slid back down and fell asleep, again.

Aiden got out of the bathroom after a hot shower. He was drying his hair with the towel as he saw that the girl fell asleep again.
He moved to his desk and switched on one of his computers. He tuned up some rock music on it and turned the volume up to the max.
"Aaaaaaaaaa what the hell????" Eva woke up and put Aiden's pillow over her face. "Turn that off I need to sleep!!" She yelled at him from under the pillow.
He turned the music off, got up and moved towards her. Having removed the pillow from her face, he kneeled down "Wake up. You have computers to fix. And guess what? You're late for work."
"Wh-what? Oh shit. I forgot." She let out a sigh and turned her back to Aiden.
"You're going to work for free today."
"What?!" She sat up. "Not fair!"
"Fair enough, sleepy head." He went to the kitchen and got her a cup of coffee.
"Thanks." She said as she sipped it.

Knock knock

Aiden opened the door just to see Jordi standing there.
"Hey." He walks in. "I see princess is here." He walked to her and kissed her hand. "How are you today princess? And what are you doing in Aiden's cozy bed?" He flashed a small grin.
"Oh I'm fine thank you. He thought it would be better if I stayed here for the night." She got up from bed and went to the bathroom.
"Oh. For stuff, I presume?"
"Jordi, enough." Aiden looked at him, weirdly.
"Alright alright. I was just teasing you. But really, what were you guys doing here?"
"She just slept here, Jordi. No more no less." He put his trench coat and cap on. "We've got work to do, haven't we?"
"Oh. Yes, yes. That's why I came here in the first place. So there's this guy, Albert Pacci. He's been confusing the systems for quite a while now and he has made a lot of noise. He might also lead you to your prey."
"I see. Let's go." Aiden grabbed his handgun and went outside, with Jordi following.

Eva finished her girl chores in the bathroom, and got out. "Yeah, they left. Without even saying anything. Alright. Fine."
She got dressed, sat in front of Aiden's computer and started fixing it.
"One thing here and one thing there and... Done! Finally." She grabbed a tissue a wiped the sweat off her forehead. Then she got her stuff all together and went back home.

She opened the door of her flat as she felt somebody grabbing her by the waist. "You're coming with me." And she got hit by something rather hard on her head, resulting in her passing out.

She woke up in dark room, and later on she came back to her senses and found herself tied to a chair. She tried to get out of the ropes but all was in vain.
She looks up and sees a well built man that seemed rather Hispanic standing in front of her.
"We saw you with the Vigilante. Where is he?" He said as he approached her.
"I know no Vigilante." She said.
They man's face was disfigured, as if he had been through many fights, as too many scars were carved on his face.
"I don't like to repeat myself. This is the last time. Where is the Vigilante?"
"I told you, I know no Vigilante. In fact I have never heard of him."
The mysterious man slapped her with such force that she fell to the side along with the chair, her nose started bleeding incessantly.
"You're going to be treated like this until you decide to talk." He kicked her in the stomach so hard she started spitting blood.

Ring ring ring

"Hello. Yes. Yes. At 8:20 pm. Of course. Meet you there." The man out his phone back into his pocket. "Stay here until I get back." And he left.
Eva was left all alone in a cold, dark room, all beaten up. She was barely able to move. She looked around and tears rolled from her eyes.
She never should've been in such situation. Maybe getting to know Aiden was all nothing but a big mistake. And that mistake has led her to her own end.

Aiden came back home after a long day of pursuits that hasn't eventually led him anywhere he wanted to be led. He looked around and felt the smell of coconuts filling his entire room. He smiled.
He has not smiled since a long time.
He took his cap off and put it aside. As he turned on his computers and sat by them, he moved his hand a bit to the right and it touched a paper. It was a note.

"Hey Aiden, I fixed your pc, and I don't need any money from you. It's all fine. I'll find a better job. Though you can call me in any time you need a fix.
P.S: I've made you some sandwiches that I left in the kitchen. That's a small token of gratitude for letting me stay at your place for the night.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Eva"

Aiden was smiling while reading the note. He went straight to the kitchen and took a bite from a sandwich she has made.
"Delicious..." He took out his phone and dialed her number. To his surprise, the phone line was cut.
"Strange." He put the phone back into his pocket and decided to go to her place, to check if everything was alright.

When he got there, the door wasn't locked. He stepped inside and turned on the lights.
"Eva?" He shouted as he roamed from room to room. At last, he found a small note on the kitchen table:
"Hello Pearce. The girl's with us. Turn yourself in and we might set her free. Meet us at the plaza tomorrow, at 8:20 pm. We'll bring the girl with us. Don't be late."

"UGHH. God damn this shit." He grind his teeth out of rage. He went back to his car.
"Don't worry. Just hang on, Eva. I'll be there."

He said as he turned the car engine...