17. No rest for the virtuous

As soon as Aiden left the hospital the next morning, Eva called Jordi.
"Hey, Jordi. I need you to do me a favor."
"What's with everyone and favors? Fine, what do you need?" Jordi asked, annoyed.
"I need you to get me out of here."
"No, can't do. If your boyfriend finds out, I'm as good as dead."
"He won't find out about you. Trust me."
"Plus you haven't fully recovered. So it's better for you to stay there."
"Please Jordi, I can't stay in here any longer. I have work to do."
"Fine. Alright. Okay. I'll check up on you later." He ended the call.
Eva got up, holding the end of the bed to prevent herself from falling. She slowly sat on the couch and dressed herself, feeling each movement as it stroke pain in her whole body. She was used to pain so she didn't complain much.
Jordi entered the room. "You ready?"
"Yeah, almost." She said, tying her converse laces.
"Let me help you with that." Jordi walked over and vkneeled in front of her to tie her shoes laces.
"Thank you." She looked at him as he did his job.
"Don't worry about it." He finished and stood up. "Hold onto me." Jordi took her arm and placed it around his neck, while his other hand took hold of Eva's waist.
As soon as they arrived at Eva's place, she opened up her laptop and tracked Aiden through his phone and the cameras around him while Jordi ensured everything was alright and left afterwards.
"Hey, Aiden. Where are you now?" She said, holding her home phone close to her ear.
"Heading to Quinn's auction." He said.
"Iraq's somewhere inside the auction. Security is going to be tight and it won't be long before someone reports your mess at the car dealer's."
"I hope the word won't spread fast about that rich fuck and how he ranted about the cars like a noisy bitch."
"Yeah, I get it. Crispin is not our type of guy. Did you hide the body?"
"Last time I checked, you were afraid when I mentioned killing."
"I got over it. Back then it was my first time. Don't blame me. Anyway, you just have to find Iraq, scan his chain and make a clean getaway."
"Sounds easy enough, but something tells me it's not going to go down that way."
"Let's hope it will."
"Yeah."
"I can't believe you're going to see human trafficking. That's just modern day slavery. You can't just buy a human..."
"They won't be able to get away with that, either. I hope I'll have enough time to deal with everything."
"Good luck."
"I don't need it." He ended the call.

Eva sat there for a while and hoped Aiden would get out of there safely.
Meanwhile, Aiden walked in on the auction, with a host already waiting for him. He handed his weapons at the front door where he was told about the auction rules and the money to be paid.
"Mr. Quinn is up there with Iraq." Said the host.
Aiden followed the stairwell to where Quinn and Iraq where standing and prepared his phone to quickly scan Iraq's chain. Before walking in on them, Aiden overheated that They have found out about the mess at the dealership and the fact that someone killed their people. Lucky Quinn sent Iraq to investigate.
"Mr. Crispin, please excuse me." Iraq said as he turned towards Aiden who took the chance and was done with the scanning in a matter of seconds. He looked at him in a strange way and then left.
"Our honored guest has arrived." Said Quinn, letting a small devilish grin appear on his old wrinkled face.
"Mr. Quinn unfortunately I can't stay." Aiden looked at him.
"Enjoying our little pageant?
"Which one? The one down there or up here?"
"Ah, my associate, Mr. Iraq. He's a loyal soldier, but he's young. What do you see when you look down there?" Asked Quinn, pointing towards all the people downstairs watching the girls on the podium and on screens.
"I see someone flexing his power."
"Mr. Iraq sees this as an auction. He sees rewards. Experience has taught me not to be manipulated... Not to back down." He said as he moved towards Aiden. "I don't detect an accent, Mr. Crispin. Life has taught me a great many things to get where I am. And luck has nothing to do with it." Said Quinn, then left.
Suddenly, Aiden's phone rang.
"Eva?"
"Aiden. They know about everything. Get out of there, NOW."
"I know, I noticed everyone's unusual behavior."
"You can make your way out through the basement. I'll send the navigation points."
"What about all these girls?"
"I called my crew, they're going to take care of everything."
"Where was your crew a long time ago? Things would've been so much easier." Aiden complained.
"Quit talking." Eva ended the call.

Aiden ran to the basement and got his weapons. "Great. Everybody's out to kill me now." He made his way through the security guards by provoking huge explosions and shooting some of them down. Aiden caught up to himself somewhere far from the location and called the cops. "I'm sure Eva's crew already did that but I need to make it certain. Cops will find these girls and take them someplace safe. As for those bidders? If any slip past the bust, they'll end up on my plate eventually. I'll track all these guys. Then I can expose them for what they've done here and shut down this ring." He thought to himself.
The moment Aiden was able to catch his breath, Yolanda called, scared that Jacks wandered off and left her home. Luckily, Jackson had his phone with him. Aiden tracked it and it pinpointed at the Racine Boat Restoration.
"What the hell is Jacks doing there? Dammit, he thinks his mother's there. That place is mob owned. After the auction mess, these guys will be on high security."
It took him a while to shoot down everybody who was there. He managed to get inside the building where he found Jackson hiding under a desk in the room with the security cameras' recordings. He saw everything- how Aiden shot every single guy. He was terrified.
"Let me get you someplace safe. Come on." Aiden held Jacks' hand and walked him to his car. He took him to Yolanda's house. "There's so much I wish I could explain to you. I'm sorry about all of this, Jacks. I know it's not easy. Listen, when I have to deal with those bad guys, I need you someplace safe. That's what makes me strong." Aiden told little Jackson as they got out of the car. Yolanda came and took Jacks home. Then she came to Aiden and looked him in the eyes. "I'm warning you" she said, "if I don't hear from his mother soon, I will call the police."

Aiden returned to Eva's place. All worked up and upset because of what happened. He opened the door only to see Eva trying to build some television screens on the wall all by herself.
"What the hell?" He said as he walked towards Eva and got her off the chair. "Why are you here? You weren't supposed to leave the hospital before next week."
"Oh hey, Aiden. I couldn't stand the stay." Eva smiled at him.
"Leave this. I'll do that for you. You need to have some rest. You won't recover this way." He carried her to the couch.
"Oh you don't need to carry me, I'm alright. How did it go?" She looked at him. Aiden didn't say anything.
"I'll be back, one second." Aiden went to the bedroom and sat on the bed. Eva followed him and sat beside him, because she couldn't stand much on her knees yet.
"Aiden?" She removed the blood off his cheek with her fingers.
He removed his cap and put it aside then hugged Eva and shove his face on her shoulder. "That look on Jacks' face. What did I do? He saw me killing every one of them. What was I thinking? That's not who I am... is it?" Aiden said.
"Aiden..." she hugged him back and rested her right hand on the back of his head. "It's okay. You did what you had to do."
"He ran off. I was too afraid... I didn't want anything to happen to him, I wouldn't forgive myself." He held onto her tighter. She was experiencing the worst kind of pain but she held it inside because she didn't want to hurt Aiden's feelings if she told him to release the hug.
"Aiden, Jacks loves you. And I love you too. It's okay. Our love for you wouldn't fade. You had to protect him, you did everything you could."
"He didn't have to see it..." Aiden calmed down a bit.
"Hey." Eva moved him away from her and held him by his shoulders. "Don't worry." She landed a fast kiss on his lips. "Go take a shower and wash all the dirt off yourself. I'll make you something to eat and then you should rest."
"Thank you."
"This life is never simple, and never quite serene. The sky is open to everyone, you should take your chances when you have them, not letting one slip away. You know who you are, Aiden. And I know too. I'll pick your pieces for you if you ever happen to lose them."
"I wish I could find everything I am looking for."
"You will. I'm sure of it."

Aiden smiled, it made him feel better.