14. Reaching as it falls

At 4 am in the morning, Aiden was waiting for Clara at the meeting place, under a street lamp.
"I've just lost everything. The love of my life, my sister, my hard drives, my network access... I need to get back what I have lost." Aiden said to himself as he saw Clara holding his hard drive.
"Thanks." He said.
"Those men, who are they?"
"I don't know. They must have picked up on the ctOS search."
"That's why I wanted to see you. Dedsec says that someone else has the system hack. I took it and I have it to you!" Clara said, nervously.
"Wait, hold on a second. I didn't give it to anybody. I wouldn't."
"We need to trust each other." She insisted.
"Listen, I don't have time to soothe you, Clara. If you don't trust me there's nothing I can do about it. Someone shot up my motel room, my sister's gone, Damien tricked Eva into working with him and I have nothing! You're not my priority right now!" Aiden said as he turned his back to her.
"I know that... Of course. Who's Eva now?"
"You don't have the right to know." Aiden crossed his arms.
Clara walked towards him. "You know, somewhere around here used to be the first testing point for the ctOS. They called it the Bunker. At least that's how the urban legend goes. Right there... Ish." She pointed in its directon.
"The Bunker? What, with access to the entire city?"
"Undetected access. And you've lost your damage deposit on the motel." She smiled.
"Alright, I'll need to call somebody, and make sure we'll find it." He said as he took out his phone.

Toot toot
"A-yello."
"Jordi? I thought..." Aiden was surprised.
"Yeah yeah, I know who you were calling Pearce. Let's say she's just a bit busy right now."
"Busy? It's 5 in the morning."
"The girl's got potential. She's training."
"Training for what?"
"Pearce why do you care?"
"Jordi, put her on the line."
"Alright."
Jordi put Eva on the line.
"Yeah? Who is this?"
"Eva, it's me."
"Oh. What do you want now?"
"I've missed you." Aiden said as Clara looked at him.
"You're wasting my time."
"No no, wait. I need you to help me out with something. Have you ever heard of the Bunker?"
"Yeah, the first testing site for the ctOS. Why?"
"Do you know how can we get past the bridge?"
"Well I have a friend that knows. I'll call him."
"Thank you. Let's meet at a café or something?"
"Yeah, alright. Bye." Eva ended the call.
Aiden smiled. Clara was looking at him suspiciously. "Miss? Meet at the café? Were you just talking to your girlfriend?"
"Why do you care?" He looked at her, annoyed.
"I don't."

Meanwhile
"Hey hey hey! Tobias!"
"Hey Eva. Need any business to run down again?"
"I just need a favor."
"What is it?"
"Do you still have the remote of the bridge that leads to the Bunker?"
"Are you sure about this?"
"Yeah, my friend needs it."
"Well he's one foot in the grave, but I'd like to get the load off my back so let him have it."
"Sure, thanks. I'll come by to pick it up."

At the café
"Well hey." Eva sat at the table and put the remote in front of her.
"Hey. I said I missed you." Aiden took a look at the remote.
"Yeah..."
"Where did you get it from?"
"My friend. Tobias Frewer. He's a ctOS pioneer... Well, was, before he was fired. They cut the power to the Bunker. That place is like a tomb."
"I'm guessing it is." Aiden put the remote in his pocket.
"Also..." Eva took some drives out of her backpack. "I believe these are yours."
"What? I thought..."
"Yeah, the fire. I know. I've hid them in your room, I knew this was coming."
"Genius, as always. Can we have some private time later tonight?"
"No, I'm sorry." Eva stood up and left the place.
Aiden followed her.

"Why are you following me?"
"Because I need to clear things out with you." Aiden grabbed her arm. "Please."
"What for? So you can do the same thing all over again?"
"Eva. Listen. I love you. And if you want to get away just like that, I won't let you."
"I'm not your puppet Aiden. Go have fun with Clara. Neither of us needs the other anymore."
"Clara? What does she have to do with anything?" Aiden let go of Eva.
"Heheh. I don't know." Eva laughed and ran, dropping after her a smoke bomb.
Aiden covered his mouth and nose with his arm. "Agh fuck." He cursed when he found out that he had lost her.
At the same time, Jordi called.
"Hey, by the way, Maurice volunteered a location. He seems convinced you'll find something there. He says if you want answers, you'll have to follow his trail. Whatever the hell that means. Might lead to something, through, right?" Jordi asked.
"It will. This is good, he wants me to understand why he did it . You need to reward him with something, okay?"
"What, like a cookie?"
"I don't know, get creative." Aiden ended the phone call.

He tried to call Eva, but it seems she had changed her phone number. He went to her place.
"Eva! Eva please open the door." Aiden said.
She opened the door. "Aren't you going to leave me alone?"
Aiden closed the door behind him. "No. I won't. Not in this life."
"Aiden please, just... Stay away."
"Or what?" Aiden grabbed her waist.
"Ughh." Eva struggled in pain. Aiden noticed that and let her go.
"Sweetheart, what's wrong?"
Eva coughed and sat on the couch.
"Eva?" Aiden kneeled before her. "Eva what happened?"
She didn't answer and looked away.
"Eva take off your shirt."
"Uh... I don't think it's time for that-"
"Listen to what I say!"
"Alright alright! Geez." She took her shirt off.
"What is this..."
"I had to go through some tough situations to get what you wanted." She slid her hand under the sofa and took out a few files. "Is this what you wanted from Elijah Brenks?"
"God, Eva." Aiden took a look at the documents and threw him aside. "This doesn't mean you have to go through danger!" He started yelling.
"Just who do you think I am?"
"I can't lose you Eva, you should know that."
"Aiden for God's sake stop! I can handle myself!"
"But Eva... Fine. This subject aside. I want you to help me get the power back to the Bunker."
"I don't recall that you ever needed my help."
"Well I need it now, badly."
"Alright. But under one condition."
"Your wish is my command."
"You'll have to let me do everything on my own."
"Fine. Whatever you wish."
"Alright then it's settled. Now give me my shirt back." She smiled at him.
"I need a kiss first."
"Oh I'll just go get another one." She stood up but Aiden pulled her down.
"My kiss first."
She looked at him hesitantly but then she reached for his lips. He pressed his against hers, while resting his hand on her cheek. She surely missed that feeling.
"Great. Here's your shirt." Aiden handed the shirt over to her.
Eva looked at Aiden and blushed, her heart was beating fast. He smiled at her. "As sweet as ever."
She looked away, still blushing.
"I was going to ask if you could let me stay here, you know. Since I'm literally homeless now."
"What kind of question is that? Of course you can."
"Double sweet." He stood up. "Well let's get going?"n

The Bunker was situated on an isle. Aiden and Eva activated the remote bridge to get over there. Then, they had to switch on three different power generators so provide the Bunker with the needed juice.
Clara called.
"Hey I heard the power kick in! I think I found it!"
"We're on our way."Aiden said as he walked with Eva towards the Bunker.
As they walked inside Aiden looked around. "Home sweet home."
Eva was happy to see Aiden excited about something for once.
"This is so great!" Clara was blowing the dust off the computers. She turned and saw Aiden with Eva. "Uh, hey?"
"Hi."
"This is Eva. Eva, this is Clara." Aiden introduced them to each other.
"Nice to meet you." Eva said.
"Nice to meet you too. I could swear I've seen you somewhere before. I can't remember where though." She analyzed Eva form nhead to toe.
"I'm sure you haven't." Eva put her hands in her pockets.
"Eva can you start the connection?" Aiden asked Eva, as he sensed that they were going to get into a fight.
"Sure. Leave it to the engineer." Eva started working on it.
Clara whispered to Aiden. "I'm sure I have seen her somewhere before."
Aiden haven't said a word and waited for Eva to finish her work.
"Done." Eva said as the screens in front of her started to glow.
"Good job." Aiden smiled.
"It was nothing." She dusted the dirt off her clothes. "I guess my work here is done." She was preparing to leave. Aiden hugged her from behind.
"Stay." He said.
Clara looked at both of them and rolled her eyes.
"Aiden..." She held onto his arms. "We'll talk when you come back home, I'll make dinner." She kissed his cheek and left.

"She's... Nice." Clara smiled at Aiden.
"I know."