Gloves

Louisa's POV

BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. BE-SLAM!

"Uggghh....shut up you fucking alarm clock." I groaned. I sat up and looked at my clock to see that it was frozen and the room was covered in ice. Again.

"Not again." I muttered. 

Sighing, I got up and went to the bathroom to shower. I lathered my hair with coconut-scented shampoo and scrubbed my body with my favourite soap, Dove. After repeating the process, I jumped out of the shower and wrapped my body in my fluffy purple towel. I went to my closet and picked out a striped sweater, pink skirt, knee-high socks and flats. 

I went downstairs to see my Dad, Remus Lupin, already eating breakfast. I sat down and and drank my orange juice. The whole breakfast was silent until I decided to break it.

"Dad, it's getting worse." I muttered.

He looked up from the newspaper he was reading and asked, "How worse?"

"Last night, I accidentally froze the water, while showering. And while I was in bed, the room suddenly started to cover in ice. And just this morning, my alarm clock froze and my room was covered in ice again." I replied.

He sighed and muttered, "It's getting worse by the minute."

"I'm sorry, Dad." I mumbled.

"It's not your fault, sweetheart. We'll figure out a way to control it." He said.

I nodded and hurriedly finished my breakfast. I went back to my room, jumped on my bed and quietly cried. Why am I born this way? I didn't wish for this to happen. It's getting stronger and I don't know how to control it. The rest of the day, I stayed cooped up in my room and only went down for lunch. That afternoon, while I was reading a book, someone knocked on my door. Startled, I accidentally froze the book. Furious, I cried again and forgot about the person at the door. 

"Sweetheart, it's me." Dad said through the door.

I didn't reply, instead, he entered my room, a box and an envelope in hand. He sat down on my bed and handed me the box.

"Open it." He said.

I opened the box to see a pair of gloves. The pair was black and elbow length. It's usually the pair you use in ball's. 

"What's this for?" I asked him.

"I figured that gloves may conceal your powers if you wear them." He said. "Go on. Try it."

I wore the gloves and tried to freeze something. Anything. I was still a little furious about the book thing and usually, when I'm furious, I freeze things but nothing froze. 

Smiling, I said, "It worked! Thanks, Dad!"

I hugged him tight and he hugged me back. He pulled away, closed my hands in a fist and said, "Just remember, conceal it. Don't feel it. Don't let it show."

I eagerly nodded and smiled wide. He handed me the envelope next. 

"This is for you." He said.

I took the envelope from him and observed it. It was a Hogwarts letter! It was white and sealed with a red stamp with my address on the back. Gently opening it, I read the first page of the letter and it said,

HOGWARTS SCHOOL of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

 Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore

(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock,

Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

 Dear Ms. Lupin,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.

Term begins on 1 September. We await your owl by no later than 31 July.

Yours sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall

Deputy Headmistress

I GOT ACCEPTED INTO HOGWARTS!! YES!!

Squealing, I jumped up and down and hugged my Dad very tight, so tight I don't even know of he could still breathe.

"Ok! Ok! Calm down, Louisa." He chuckled.

I let go of him but a HUGE smile is still etched on my face.

"I got accepted into Hogwarts, Dad. Aren't you happy?" I asked.

"I am." He replied. Liar. His smile didn't reach his eyes.

"No, you're not. What's wrong, Dad?" I asked.

"Nothing, it's just that I'm worried for you." He said.

"Worried about what?" 

"Your power. What if somebody finds out about them?" 

"I completely forgot. I'm sorry, Dad. Guess I won't be going to Hogwarts after all." I said as tears threatened to spill.

"Who said you're not going to Hogwarts?" 

"But you said-"

"I said I was worried about someone finding out about your powers. I didn't say anything about you not going to Hogwarts."

"But my powers-Dad, I'm afraid somebody might find out." I said, worried.

"I'm trusting you to be careful and I trust that you will have the gloves at all times?" He asked.

"Yes, you can trust me. So I can go to Hogwarts?"

"Yes."

"YAY!! OMG!! YEESS!!" I shouted.

All through the night, I kept thinking about Hogwarts and not once did my power cross my mind.