15

I sat by Remus's bed in the hospital wing lost in thought as I waited for him to wake up. Sirius and James were in Hogsmeade, stocking up on Remus's favorite chocolate (even though there were already five boxes of it on the table next to him). Peter was in the common room writing out a set of notes to give to Remus for the classes he had missed.

This month's transformation had given Remus another scar. It had been a long, deep scratch across his stomach. Madam Pomfrey had healed it as best as she could but it still looked awful. Thankfully, she said it would only be a bit sore for a couple of days. He was always a bit sore after every transformation so that was nothing new.

Fortunately, this was the last transformation that he would have to go through alone. In five days, the mandrake leaves process would be over. All we would have to do was mix them with the potion and drink it. I just wish we could have finished it all sooner.

Remus began to wake up. Pulling myself out of my thoughts, I watched as he became aware of his surroundings. Wincing slightly, he tried to raise himself up. Before he could, I placed my hand on his shoulder and stopped him. He looked over at me and smiled weakly.

"Hey, Laura," he said quietly.

Good afternoon, Sleeping Beauty.

Groaning, he said, "I am sick and tired of those bloody boards. Please get rid of them!"

Only five more days. Then they will be gone forever. I wrote before crawling onto Remus's bed and cuddling with him.

"Only five more days," he agreed, resting his head on top of mine.

About twenty minutes later, James and Sirius burst through the door, their arms overflowing with bags of Honeydukes candies. Peter was following closely behind.

Glad you're awake. Sirius wrote after dropping everything onto the table.

I climbed off of Remus and sat back down in my seat so he could move around to reach the candy.

"Want a piece?" He asked me, already munching on a chocolate bar.

I waved it away before writing: I'm good. I've been eating on it all day.

Honestly, I would have loved a piece of chocolate. But since the mandrake leaves messed with the taste of food, I had decided to not snack until this whole process was over. If it was possible for me to survive, I would have avoided eating all together.

How are you feeling? Peter asked.

"Better," Remus replied.

At that moment, Madam Pomfrey came bustling out of her office.

Handing Remus his newly mended shirt, she said, "You are free to go, Mr. Lupin."

Before anything else could be said, she bustled away to attend to the first year on the opposite side of the hospital wing. Slipping his shirt on, Remus got out of bed (he tried to hide his wincing but we noticed). Sirius, Peter, and James gathered up all of the food. I draped Remus's arm across my shoulders and curled my arm around his waist, supporting most of his weight.

"There is no reason for you to be almost carrying me," he objected. "You're smaller than a twig. There's no way you can support me up all of the stairs."

I gave him am exasperated look. Watch me.

****

Back in the empty common room, Remus was sprawled across the couch napping. James, Peter, Sirius, and I sat in a circle on the floor in front of the roaring fire.

James wrote: In five days, we will be done. Moony will be so surprised. We just need to hold on for five more days.

I can't wait. Peter replied.

Me either. I agreed. I hate having to lie to Moon Moon and these boards are starting to get on his nerves.

Sirius wrote: When this is over, we'll burn them in the fireplace.

Satan sacrifice! I wrote excitedly.

Sitting in Sirius's lap, I began go doodle aimlessly. That's when I heard it.

Do you hear that? I asked Sirius, raising up.

He shook his head no. Listening intently, I heard it again. It was faint but it was there.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

When I couldn't pinpoint the place where the noise was coming from, I slumped against Sirius's chest, defeated. But the noise intensified. I turned my head sideways so my ear was against his bare chest. Faintly, right next to where his heart is, was another heart, thumping along at the same rate.

Raising up, I slapped Sirius's shoulder excitedly.

WHAT?!?!

YOU HAVE TWO HEARTBEATS! I wrote/shouted back. THAT MEANS EVERYTHING IS FALLING INTO PLACE! OUR PLAN IS GOING TO WORK!

After the three boys read my chalkboard, they listened intently. Sirius placed his ear up against my chest before exclaiming: YOU HAVE TWO HEARTBEATS TOO! James and Peter soon confirmed that they too now had more than one heart.

Having two heartbeats meant that our bodies had discovered our animagus animal. In five days, we would see them for the first time. The potion was ready and waiting. All that there was left to do was wait.

I've waited this long. I can last five more days.

****
A/N: Sorry this chapter was so short. It's basically just a filler chapter. The next chapter is longer, I promise!