22

"Peeves!" I shouted, distracting the poltergeist from destroying the empty Potions classroom.

Dropping the bottle of gillyweed he was holding, I cringed as it smashed into the ground with a loud BANG.

Floating down and propping his elbows up on one of the desks theatrically, he said, "I know good and well that the wee Potter twins are not goody two shoes. So why did you stop my path of destruction?"

Damn.

"Well," I began, fiddling with my charm bracelet. "The wee Potter twins and their friends require your assistance with this evening's prank."

"Sorry, Pottee," Peeves said, turning around to continue destroying. "I help no one."

Getting desperate, I quickly devised a back up plan.

****

Meanwhile, in the Gryffindor common room...

"Sirius!" Lily called, spotting him and his friends conversing quietly in front of the fire.

Sirius's head shot up and whipped around to see who had called him. Spotting Lily, he smirked before nudging James.

Ignoring James, who was now smiling at her, Lily asked, "Do you know where Laura is? I haven't seen her since I got back."

"No, I have not, Evans," James answered, hurdling over the couch to get closer to her. "But I can keep you company."

Shoving him away, she looked to Remus, hoping to get a straight answer from him.

Sensing her distress, Remus said, "Last I saw, she was heading down to the Potions classroom to talk to Peeves."

"Thanks, Remus," she said before disappearing outside of the portrait hole.

"Why is she always polite to you?"

****

After negotiating with Peeves, I left the Potions classroom to head back to the common room. Spotting a head of bright red hair coming down the corridor.

"LILY!" I cried excitedly, running towards her.

"LAURA!" She cried just as excitedly as I jumped (literally) into her outstretched arms.

Staggering backwards slightly, Lily hugged me back tightly.

"It's been forever since I've seen you," I said, breathing in her ironic flowery scent.

Laughing, she said, "I missed you too."

Wrapping my legs around her waist, I said, "I'm not letting go of you so you might as well carry me back to the common room."

"You're so dramatic, Laura. Now get off of me." When I didn't move, she accepted defeat and said, "If you want me to carry you, at least get on my back."

Jumping back onto the ground, I quickly climbed onto her back. Wrapping my legs around her waist again, I cried, "Onward, my noble steed!"

On the trip back to the common room, Lily told me all about her break: how her parents pestered her about boys, how Petunia still hated her, the usual.

"By the way, thanks for the gift."

"No problem, Lils. Thanks for the pens."

At this point, we had reached the portrait hole. The Fat Lady raised her eyebrow questioningly but opened at the password without a comment. Inside the common room, the boys were still by the fire. Remus and Peter were playing a game of Wizard's Chess. James and Sirius were discussing Merlin knows what but stopped once they caught sight of us.

"Did the Princess's feet stop working?" Sirius asked sarcastically upon seeing me still on Lily's back.

Before I could retort, James asked, "Did Peeves agree?"

"Yes," I replied after a slight hesitation.

Remus noticed but didn't say anything about it.

"Say yes to what?" Lily asked, twisting her head in an attempt to look at me.

Winking, all I said was, "Sit with me at dinner and you'll be safe. But bring an umbrella and don't wear anything you wouldn't want stained just in case."

****

Sitting down between Lily and Remus at the Gryffindor table, I looked around for Peeves. Completely unnoticed by the other students, he was sitting on one of the banisters with a large bucket and bubble wand next to him. Catching his eye, I nodded subtlety.

When Peter became distracted by  stuffing his face with food and James and Sirius were arguing about something, Remus leaned over to whisper to me.

"Why did you hesitate earlier?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," I said nonchalantly, taking a bite of mashed potatoes.

"Potter."

Sighing in defeat, I whispered, "I had to negotiate with Peeves in order to get him to help us. Everyone, including us, is fair game."

"Well, that was to be expected. As long as you control your bad impulse control and don't pop anything, we'll be fine."

"Then we're screwed," I told him before turning to James, who had been trying to get my attention. "Yes?"

Dropping the arm that had been waving around my face, James said, "We need to start planning."

"Planning what?"

"Our kick ass birthday party! It's only three months away! Sirius," James shot a playful glare at him, "seems to have forgotten what a fun birthday is and I'm not about to let you forget just because you're in a relationship."

Smiling, I said, "But Remus's birthday is before ours."

James seemed to have been expecting an answer like that. "I know that but he's probably going to spend it the same way Sirius spent his so there's no point in planing that."

At that moment, large, normal looking, bubbles began to float around the Great Hall. And, just like we had hoped, everyone wanted to pop them.

As a few bubbles wafted over to the Gryffindor table, I quickly grabbed Lily's hand that she had raised to pop one.

"Don't do it," I warned her. Noticing her puzzled look, I continued, "Just watch."

When the bubbles were low enough for everyone to reach, they all began to start popping them. Glitter flew five feet in every direction every time one was popped. Delightedly surprised shrieks arose from every House table.

When students began to realize what was happening, the popping of the bubbles gradually came to a stop.

There were a handful of lucky students that had somehow managed to avoid getting glitter on themselves (Lily, Sirius, Peter, Remus, James and I included). But that's where Peeves' bucket came in to play.

Grabbing the large bucket and cackling madly, Peeves rose from his spot on the banisters. Swooping low, he flew over the tables with the bucket upside down.

Glitter poured out, drenching every person in the Great Hall (professors included). It seemed as though the flow of it would never end.

Dumbledore seemed to find it all rather amusing. McGonagall, on the other hand, did not.

"PEEVES!"