28

Slinging my trunk onto the rack above our heads, I got it settled in before turning around and exiting our Hogwarts Express compartment.

"Where are you going?" Sirius called after me, stopping the door before I could shut it all the way.

"To talk to George. I'll be right back," I promised.

Without waiting on a response, I began my journey down the length of the train. Twelve full compartments later, I found the second year sitting by himself just as the train began to move. The boy was staring out the window with a far away look in his eyes, sort of like in one of those sad muggle music videos.

Knocking on the door, I slid it open before asking, "Mind if I join you?"

George's face lit up instantly when he caught sight of me. "Not at all," he answered, nearly bouncing with excitement.

Chuckling to myself, I shut the door behind me and sat across from him. "Did you have a good year? I haven't really been able to talk to you since Christmas."

"It was fun," he responded, Shrugging his shoulders. "All of my friends liked the broom you got me."

"I'm sure they did," I muttered to myself, too low for George to hear. "Where are you spending your summer holidays?"

George's grin faltered slightly. "At my parents' house."

My heart nearly broke at his sullen expression. "Well, George, will you promise me something?" I questioned.

The boy nodded solemnly.

"Promise me that of things get to be too bad at your parents' house, you'll owl me immediately. I'll come get you and you can spend the holidays at my house," I told him.

"I promise," George said, his previously good mood returning.

Leaning forward, I gave him a hug before standing up. "Do you want to join me and my friends in my compartment?" I asked. When George declined, I opened his compartment door and stepped out of it. "Keep in mind that you're always welcomed at Potter Manor."

"I will."

Returning to my compartment, which the other students refer to as the Marauders Compartment, I dropped into my seat between Sirius and Remus.

"What did you and George talk about?" Peter asked in between bites of his chocolate frog from his seat across from me and next to James.

Snuggling into Sirius's side, I said, "I simply told the kid that he was always welcomed at the Manor if his family became too much to handle." Turning to  Sirius, I continued, "The same thing goes for you too."

James nodded in agreement. Sirius dismissed the comment with a wave of his hand and successfully attempted to change the subject by asking James about Lily.

****

Before we knew it, the Hogwarts Express was pulling into the station at Kings Cross' Platform 9 and 3/4. Gathering our belongings, the five of us successfully pushed our way through the throng of students and onto the platform without dropping anything.

Looking around, I found the ginger I was searching for. Shoving my trunk into James's arms, I rushed over to where Lily was standing with her muggle family and latched myself onto her back.

"Goodbye, Lils!" I shouted, earning a glare from her horrid sister. "Don't forget to write."

Laughing at my antics, Lily said, "I won't. Now get off of my back before you break it!"

As I jumped down, she turned around and gave me a proper hug that was so tight it nearly suffocated me.

"I'll miss you," she whispered before releasing me.

"I'll miss you too. Remember, you're always welcomed at my house."

Not waiting for an answer, I waved goodbye to the Evans family before rushing over to another muggle family.

"George!" I cried, startling him and the other three people that surrounded him. Giving him a hug, I said, "Don't forget what I told you on the train."

"I won't."

Releasing the boy, I examined his family and shuddered. They looked like the muggle equivalent of the Black family. Before I could say anything to them, there was a tap on my shoulder.

It was Sirius, grinning cheekily. "I do believe it's time for our goodbyes."

"I was getting to you next. I didn't forget," I answered, turning back to George. Ruffling his hair, I said, "Have a good summer, kiddo."

He beamed as I walked away with Sirius. From behind us, I heard a snooty voice ask, "Who was that?"

Once we were away from everyone, I flung my arms around Sirius's neck as he grabbed my waist and pulled me to him.

"Have a great summer," I murmured before kissing him softly.

"To you as well," he whispered before deepening it.

Breaking the kiss, I pulled back to look at him. "Promise me something?"

"Anything," Sirius responded solemnly.

I stared into his stormy grey eyes, trying not to get lost in them. "Promise me that you'll come to mine and James's house the second things get too horrible back home."

Sirius's giddy expression immediately darkened at the mention of his home. "I can't burden you and your family like that."

Sighing, I glared at him and attempted to get my point across. "James can't live without you, my parents adore you, and I love you. You're not a burden. Now promise me."

His resolve broke. "I promise."

Smiling, I pecked his cheek before giving him a final hug. "Goodbye, my prince."

"Goodbye, Princess."

As much as I hated to, I left Sirius to return to his family as I searched for mine. Finding them with Remus's parents, I rushed over to them.

"I'll miss you, Moon Moon," I shouted, tackling him to the floor.

"I'll miss you too, Snow White (A/N: her nickname because her animagus is white and Sirius calls her Princess)." Remus laughed, picking us up off the ground.

Releasing my death grip on him, I watched him leave with his parents before looking around for the only person I hadn't said goodbye to.

"Peter has already left," James said, shoving my trunk back into my arms. "Now, unless there is someone else you would like to say goodbye to, it's time for us to go."

"Alright."

Bounding over to our parents, I gave Mum a quick hug before wrapping my arms around my father.

"Ready to go home?" He asked, hugging me in return.

Nodding, I released him and, once again, picked up my trunk before linking arms with James.

Fifth year may already be over but our wild adventures were barely beginning.