18

Snow was falling lightly outside the window in the Gryffindor common room. Snuggled underneath a couple blankets in my favorite armchair by the warm fire (and still in my pyjamas, despite it being sometime after lunch), I continued to suck on my peppermint candy cane as I turned the page of my favorite book, The Tales of Beedle the Bard.

Most of the school had left for the winter holidays yesterday. The only people in Gryffindor that were left are Sirius, Remus, James, a second year and I. Peter had to go home due to some family emergency his mother had told him about. I'm not sure who in the other houses stayed.

The boys were currently outside playing in the snow (why they would want to play in that freezing slush is beyond me). They had promised to bring food from the kitchens when they returned.

At that moment, the second year boy entered the common room and flopped onto the couch with a crumpled letter in his hand.

"Do you mind if I sit in here?" He asked, catching sight of me.

"Not at all. Want a candy cane?" I offered.

"No, thanks."

Noticing the distressed look in the boy's eyes, I marked my page and set my book aside.

"So why did you stay here instead of going home?" I asked. Subtlety was not one of my strong suits. "It's okay if you don't want to tell me," I quickly added. "I was just curious."

"No, it's fine," the boy said, waving it off. "I'm not really welcomed at home anymore. You see, I'm a muggleborn and my parents don't really approve of having a 'freak' for a son."

"That's horrible!" I gasped. "Why didn't any of your friends stay?"

"Why would they?" He asked. "They're families didn't disown them. Besides, it's nothing I'm not used to."

That's it. I decided. Since his parents won't do it, I'll take care of this kid and give him an amazing winter. Wow, who knew I had motherly instincts. That was usually James.

"What's your name?" I asked him. If I'm going to spoil this kid, I'm going to need to know more about him.

"George."

"I'm Laura."

"I know," he said through a small chuckle. "Everyone knows who you and your group of friends are."

"Well...do you like to read?"

Blushing slightly, George mumbled, "Yeah."

"What about quidditch?"

Before George could answer, James, Sirius, and Remus burst through the portrait hole, mountains of food piled and balanced precariously in their arms.

Standing up, George said, "I'll leave you to your friends."

You can stay if you want to," I told him hastily.

"No, it's okay," he said, casting a sideways glance at the other boys. "I need to finish my homework anyways."

He quickly scurried up the stairs to the second year dorms and disappeared. Sighing, I sat down on the floor and helped Remus organize all of the food. We ended up with:
2 ginger bread houses
1 pizza
58 pastries (14 cherry, 14 lemon, and 30 chocolate)
1 plate of dinner rolls
1 cheesecake
10 chocolate frogs
4 mugs of hot chocolate
1 bowl of mashed potatoes (I have an addiction to it)
2 dozen chocolate chip cookies

"This might last us until morning," I joked, leaning against the couch.

Honestly, if it wasn't for all of the stairs at Hogwarts, we would all probably be morbidly obese.