21

Drumming my fingers on the table, I tapped my foot against the floor repeatedly. Suddenly, a warm hand was placed on my leg in an attempt to get it to stop bouncing. Looking up, I saw that Sirius had set his fork down and was giving me a comforting smile.

Across from us, Remus stood up and said, "It's...er...almost time. I'm gonna go and head on down."

"We'll be there shortly," James told him, running his hand through his hair nervously.

It was three days after Christmas and the first full moon since we've became unregistered animagi. To say we were nervous was an understatement. None of us had been able to sit still at all today. Despite all of the research we had done, none of us knew for sure whether our animagus forms could help Remus during his transformations. The plan could completely backfire and Remus might try to attack us. We didn't know. It was a shame that Peter couldn't be here for the first  transformation, but we weren't about to postpone this and make Remus go through another monthly alone.

Glancing up at the ceiling, I saw the bright night sky reflected.

Looking to James and Sirius, I said, "It's time."

Sirius grabbed my hand and helped me out of my seat. Together, the three of us left the castle.

The bitter winter air that hit us seemed to snap me out of my trance. Squeezing Sirius's hand, I sensed James's nervousness. Grabbing his arm, I dragged him over to my side as the Whomping Willow came into view. As pain filled howl echoed across the grounds, we quickened our pace.

Reaching the tree, I began to look around for a long branch. Since Peter wasn't here to press the knot that stills the Willow, we had to press it ourselves. Finding one, I crouched down and stretched as far as I could.

Pressing the knot, the Whomping Willow, which had been swaying slightly, froze instantly. Not bothering to look back at the two boys, I slid down the dark tunnel.

As I stood up, James and Sirius tumbled down after me. Scrambling off of Sirius, James brushed himself off. Looking around the dirt covered, musty, tunnel, I saw the path Remus had told us to follow.

Bending low, I changed into my animagi. Instantly, all of my nerves disappeared. Glancing behind me, I saw James as a stag, bending down slightly so his antlers wouldn't hit the ceiling. Behind him was Sirius as a dog, wagging his tail excitedly.

Leading the way up the path, I soon came across a scratched and beaten wooden door that was slightly ajar. Bracing myself for whatever we might see, I entered with James and Sirius close behind.

In one corner was a badly scratched bed. In the other was Remus. Sensing our presence, he turned around to face us. His fangs were bared and he pawed the ground menacingly. His eyes didn't hold the same kindness they usually do. They reflected the madness within. Honestly, it was slightly terrifying.

Slowly and carefully, I moved one paw forward. When Remus didn't attack, I took another step. Catching on to what I was trying to do, James and Sirius stepped forward as well.

When Remus realized our intentions were pure, he stopped growling and bowed his head slightly. Wagging my tail excitedly, I bounded forward playfully.

Remus's change in moods was so fast it gave me whiplash. He quickly became a happy (not so little) ball of fur. James and Sirius bounded around us gleefully.

As if our thoughts were connected, Sirius had the idea to lead Remus outside of the Shack because it obviously upset him to be trapped inside the small room every month.

James nodded his agreement and, realizing that it would be best for Remus, I agreed as well.

Nudging Remus's shoulder gently so as not to spook him, I carefully lead him to the open door. Stepping in front of him so he wouldn't be able to run off, I went down the narrow path. Sirius and James followed at a slight distance behind Remus.

Reaching the hole that lead us outside of the Whomping Willow, I ran out of it, eager to get some fresh air. Remus, obviously understanding that he wasn't supposed to be outside of the Shack, hesitated slightly. Slowly, he stepped forward. A small gust of wind blew around us. Smelling the fresh air, Remus clawed his way out of the tunnel.

Jumping around, Remus growled playfully at all of us as Sirius and James (who had a bit more trouble climbing out of the tunnel) joined us.

Seeing how joyful werewolf Remus was made me extremely happy that our animagus plan had worked. Remus would never have to go through another transformation alone again.

****

As Remus began to stir, I moved my chair closer to his bed in the hospital wing. James and Sirius had gone down to the Entrance Hall to meet up with Peter when he arrived. Today, holiday break ended and all of the students returned.

Opening his eyes, Remus turned his head slowly to look at me. I could tell the events of last night were coming back to him. Grinning, he sat up. It was easy to see that he wasn't as sore as he usually was after a full moon. We had made it through the night without him retaining another scar.

"So last night was a success?" Remus asked.

"Yep," I told him, popping the p. "Prongs and Snuffles will be back soon with Wormtail."

He chuckled slightly and said, "I thought Sirius wanted to be called Padfoot?"

"He does but I prefer Snuffles so it's Snuffles." Pondering the nicknames we had agreed on the night before, I asked, "How did we come up with Wormtail for a rat?"

"I'm not sure."

At that moment, Sirius, James, and Peter entered the room, laughing about something. Thankfully, Madam Pomfrey was in her office and couldn't hear them.

"And here's Snuffles now," I said as Sirius dropped into the seat beside me.

James and Peter laughed.

"Snuffles?!" He asked, placing his hand over his heart with a horrified expression.

"Yes," I explained calmly, resting my head on his shoulder.

"If I'm Snuffles," Sirius began, "then I get to call you Fluffy."

"You say that like it should be an insult."

"Look at you two," James cooed. "Quarreling like an old married couple."

"We're off topic!" Peter cut in, still smiling. "How did last night go?"

****
A/N: I have a question for all of my lovely readers!!! I know there's still like five months until fifth year is over but the sooner I ask, the sooner I'll be able to decide. Do you guys think I should do a separate book for each of their remaining school years or combine them in one book and do my next book about their adventures after Hogwarts?

Please comment what you think!
💜💜