My Father

“What the h…” I didn’t have time to finish my sentence before I felt Ezra grab my arm and pull me with him. Crashes and bangs filled the air as we made our way down the stairs.

“Damn it! How in the hell do they keep finding us!” Ezra said angrily.

I didn’t say anything though. I just let him pull me along with him like I didn’t care. Inside I was dying to be found and rescued! They were so close to me again, yet they never were able to get me before the guys took me to a new destination.

“Maddyy, hurry the fuck up!” Ezra said pulling my arm rougher making me wince in pain.

It didn’t take us long to make it to the garage. We started heading to a very fast looking car. “Keys, keys, keys.” I heard Ezra whispering while searching his pockets with his other hand. “Where the hell did I put them?”

After a few seconds he started cussing and threw me in the passenger side of the car, before running over to the other side to get in the drivers door. I watched him hot wire the car.

“Who are the people attacking this time?” I asked.

Ezra looked up from the wires. “Like you don’t already know,” he sneered.

I rolled my eyes and looked out the window. Through the darkness I thought I saw a figure in the garage along with us. When I blinked it seemed to disappear. I guess I was so hopeful that I had finally started seeing things.

CRASH!

“Son of a bitch.”

I jumped to look at the drivers’ side of the car where Ezra was sitting. His window was completely busted out. I tried to push myself as close to the passenger door as I could without physically hurting myself. I had no idea what was happening.

Suddenly a hand came through the busted window and pulled the door open. I screamed as Ezra was pulled out and threw on to the ground. My screams echoed throughout the garage.

I watched in horror as the figure aimed a gun at Ezra and shot making his body go motionless. My throat stared going dry and I felt the sudden urge to vomit.

Suddenly though, I felt my body falling toward the ground, but before I hit the hard floor someone caught me. Looking up at my savior I realized I would rather be with a kidnapper any day then the person who had just saved me.

“Dad?” I whispered.

He just smirked and helped me to my feet. “Looks like you’ve been in some trouble since you left.”

I didn’t answer him immediately. “Anything was better than being at home I guess.”

My dad laughed, “You know you are very funny. Don’t think I haven’t been looking after you since you left, you are everything that you ran away from. Still rich and involved with bad people.”

Grinding my teeth together I swore. “At least I’m not a fucking kid anymore, I’m like this because of you!”

It was true every word we had both been saying was true. When I lived at home I saw horrible things at such a young age I swore I’d never be what I was today. Murders, drug deals, beatings, drunks, druggies, etc. I had seen it all at a young elementary age. Yet when I finally ran away I found myself joining something almost exactly the same as my dad.

“Last I heard you’re going to be promoted. You should really think about joining your father you know. One day you can take over my business. Let’s talk about this somewhere else though. We are in the middle of a war at the moment after all.”