The Jump

Dear Evan Hansen, today kinda sucked.

I still can't believe Connor took my letter. I wasn't able to get it back, so now he has my dumb sob story. That's great.

Thoughts swarm through my head as I leave the school and head to the buses. Zoe is sitting on a bench. I wish I could just skip over and tell her how much I love her. When she looks at me, or dare I say talks to me, I become all awkward.

I begin to walk towards her, but pause and take in my surroundings. To my right I can see tons of people talking, laughing, and stepping onto their buses. I look to my left and see Connor, which gives me chills. Wait, is Connor going to- My thoughts come to a pause. An instinct inside of me, one that I didn't know I had, makes my legs begin to dash towards Connor and the car. My surroundings blur into one big blob, as I hyper focus on Connor. I see him about to jump in front of the car, and my legs propel me towards him in a flying leap. I feel our bodies meet, and my knees scrape against the rough pavement, causing me to release a yelp. My right elbow kisses the pavement and I grit my teeth. My eyes are shut and I feel my body come to a stop. I keep my eyes shut for a minute.

"What the- Evan?"

My eyes unlock and I slowly return to reality. Connor is sprawled out next to me with a few small cuts. I look down at my knees and see that they are pretty badly scraped, and that there are small spots of my blood painted onto the ground. The pain makes me want to throw up, but instead, I continue to sit here. I hear feet running towards us, and Zoe is now looking down at us.

"Connor! What happened? I'm calling mom."

She pulls out her phone and Connor groans. He sounds mad, and I'm not exactly sure why. I look back up at Zoe, and can tell that her mom just picked up.

"Hi mom. Can you come pick us up from school? I think Connor got into a fight?"

She stares down at the two of us, me still bleeding from the impact and Connor looking like he's ready to kill me. But at the same time, he also seems confused. Zoe takes the phone away from her ear and taps the screen, probably ending the call.

"Mom and dad are on their way."

"Great," Connor says sarcastically under his breath.

Zoe bends down and helps both of us up. Feelings of embarrassment and shame fill me as my face turns red. For a second, Zoe locks eyes with me, and a new feeling flows throughout me. Connor's parents swerve into the school faster than I thought. Or, at least I think they are Connor's parents.

A women and a man jump out of the car, look around, and Zoe waves to them. Connor and Zoe's parents. They jog over to us and look at me in shock.

"Connor Murphy! Did you push him?"

"No, he pushed me," Connor sneers.

"He pushed you?" The man, Connor's dad asks in amusement. He looks like he is going to break out laughing until Mrs. Murphy gives him a look.

"A-actually... yo-your son w-w-was almost got... got hit by a car," I attempt to say as I look up at them.

Mrs. Murphy looks as if she is going to break out into tears and Mr. Murphy is just towering over us with his jaw dropped wide open in shock. Zoe steps closer to me, which makes me feel warm inside.

"Evan... you saved him?"

I give I slight nod as I spit out a few more words, "I-I guess."

"Thank you so much, Evan," Mr. Murphy says to me.

"Yes, we cannot thank you enough Evan, "Mrs. Murphy adds, "do you want us to call your parents? We can stay with you until they come."

"Well my mom sometimes gets out of work late at night. She's a nurse so-"

"Oh, well we can drive you to wear she works. She can probably fix you up then," Mrs. Murphy says with a smile.

"Um... yeah, sure."

I limp over to the car and climb into the back. Zoe goes around back, but then reappears in the car window and climbs in next to me. She wants to sit next to me?

"Here," she says softly as she hands me some paper towels.

"Thanks," I reply.

The car has six seats, and Zoe and I are in the back two. Mr. Murphy sits in the middle row with Connor, probably because he is kind of scraped up too. Mrs. Murphy pulls out of the school parking lot, and the car ride is mostly silent. The only talking that has happened so far is me giving Mrs. Murphy the name of my mom's workplace. I don't mind though, because Zoe's company is enough.

"So Evan," Mrs. Murphy says, making me jolt to attention, "are you a senior too?"

"Y-y-yes Mrs. Murphy."

Connor snickers at my stuttering but Mr. Murphy gives him a look that stops him in his tracks. Finally, we arrive.