Graduation

A smile spreads across my face as I read the words glowing on my screen. We really did make it. I turn my head and notice my mom walking into my room. "Good morning Evan," she says as she kisses my head. "Ready to graduate?" I nod. "I'm so proud of you," she smiles.

After she leaves the room, I go to my closet. There it is, my royal blue gown with a matching cap. I pick out a royal blue polo shirt and some khaki shorts to go under it, and change into them. Then, I put on my gown. I take a deep breath before looking in the mirror. Shoot, you forgot the cap. I struggle to grab it, almost dropping it out of nervousness, and place it on my head. "Oh no!" I squeak out.

"Evan, is everything okay?" My mom says as she rushes into my room. I start to hyperventilate. Mom guides me to my bed.

"I-I forgot to decorate my cap," I whimper out. My mom sighs in relief and cradles me in a hug. I shut my eyes tightly, hoping not to cry.

"It's okay honey, you don't have to decorate it, but I'm sure we have enough time if you want to do something simple," my mom says. I nod into her chest, and our hug breaks. I call Connor for last minute ideas, decorate the cap, and eat breakfast.

The ride is mostly silent, minus some soft music escaping from the car radio. When we arrive at the graduation, I dart to the flagpole where I told Connor I would meet him. I dart my eyes around for what feels like hours. Then, I see him. I run towards him, almost knocking him down and hugging him.

"You look amazing," he says to me, and smiles.

I blush, "you look even more amazing." We pause and stare at each other. Out of the corner of my eye I see Connor and I's parents walking in our direction. "So... why did you tell me to write this on my cap?" I ask confused, pointing to the back of my cap where a combination of letters are.

"Because," Connor says, now looking at our parents, "it'll look cute when we're together." I look confused at Connor, who asks my mom to take a picture. I start to turn towards her, but Connor turns me around, standing to my right. My mom takes the picture, and Connor tells me to look at it. The letters on our hats combine, making a word.

BOYF - RIENDS.

I smile and hug Connor.

"I love you," I whisper in his ear.

After our hug breaks, I hug my mom, Connor hugs his. We switch. Then I hug Connor's dad and Connor hugs Zoe. And then Connor hugs his dad and I hug Zoe, which may seem like a lot of hugging but Connor and I are pretty cool about it. And then, we take our seats.

The first part of the ceremony is pretty long, but I make sure to not zone out during Alana's speech.

"And the biggest highlight of my year was making an amazing group of friends."

I turn around and smile at Connor. Connor smiles at me. We both turn and smile at Jared. Jared smiles back at us.

After her speech I feel nerves enter my stomach.

Diploma time.

I watch as each person gets up and gets their diploma. The person next to me gets called. I wipe my hands against my gown.

"Evan Hansen."

I get up nervously, afraid that I'm going to trip. I go up to the podium, shake Mr. Levenson's hand, and take my diploma. I look out and see Connor mouthing "we did it". I nod, and go back to my seat. I didn't slip. My palms aren't overly sweaty. Evan Hansen, you're okay. You did it. And you're doing it. You're living. You have great friends, a caring mom and a boyfriend who loves you so incredibly much. And now you have a high school diploma.

When Jared goes up I clap for him, and Connor whistles which makes me laugh. Then I sit through the rest of the Ks, Ls, and a majority of the Ms.

"Connor Murphy."

I clap until my hands hurt. Tears start to well up in my eyes. We really did it. Both of us.

Now, to sit through the next thirteen letters of the alphabet. Which drags out. So I let my mind wander; to this afternoon, to tomorrow, to next year, to life with my future hus-

Too far again, Hansen. Too far.

After they finish, everyone throws their caps in the air. I only throw mine a foot into the air because I want to hold onto it. Then, I run over to Connor. I hug him tightly.

"We did it," I squeak out, trying not to cry.

"Huh, we really did do it," Connor says back to me. We meet up with Alana and Jared, and all hug each other before going to find all of our parents. The four of us and Zoe decide to go back to the Murphy's house, since we can "hang out without the adults getting in our way". Well, that's according to Connor at least, which is how my mom, Connor's parents, Zoe, Connor, Alana, Alana's parents, Jared, Jared's parents, and I all end up celebrating in the Murphy household. At around midnight, all of our parents have gone home, or in the Murphy's case, are sleeping upstairs. And us kids, who I guess are just kids at heart now, are sprawled out on the couches in the family room  watching a movie. Alana is the first to fall asleep. Then Zoe. Then Jared. I look at Connor, who I can barely make due to the only light being the TV. Connor looks at me. And kisses me.

We did it.