5 Days

A/N: I forgot to add this in when I first published this chapter, but thank you so much ChristyRe for this adorable drawing of the tree plush! I love it!!

;five days;

"Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, freedom. Five days. This is going to be the best summer ever," Connor whispers to me as we make our way up to the stage for our first graduation rehearsal.

"Why is it going to be the best summer ever?"

"Because you're my boyfriend, and that's the best thing I could ever ask for."

I can't help but grin. Connor grabs my hand and I blush. "Right here?" I whisper.

"If somebody doesn't like that we're holding hands, then so be it. Good for them. I'm happy as long as I'm with you, no matter what anyone thinks. And if anyone ever attacks you ever again, you better believe I'll be by your side."

I squeeze his hand. Everyone else might be half asleep (except for Alana valedictorian Beck) but for once, I'm actually enjoying school.

Until they tell us we have to sit in alphabetical order, and I'm in between two random kids, and Connor is rows behind me. I sigh, because these five days are going to be longer than I expected.

;four days;

I wake up and pull the covers back over my head. Another day of graduation rehearsals. The school doesn't make us sit through too much rehearsal each day, as they've shortened the length of each day this week, but to have to sit there without Connor and in some sort of stranger sandwich with two other kids is awkward and I don't want to be a part of it.

"Evan?" I recognize the voice to be mom's, but I don't remove the covers from my head. "Evan? Is everything okay? You've only got a few days left of school! You can do this!" I groan as mom slowly lifts the covers from my face and squint as sunlight hits my eyes. But of course I end up getting out of bed in time to have breakfast and get to another graduation rehearsal.

I tell mom I love her and that I'll see her later, (which probably means tomorrow morning) as I walk outside, halting suddenly. I blink a few times.

"Connor?!"

"Hey kid, wanna walk to school with me?"

"Y-you walked all the way to my house, which is in the opposite direction of the school, just to walk with me?" Connor nods, and I blush. Sure, we have to sit through another rehearsal, but at least I can daydream about our walk to school the entire time.

;three days;

Today I realized how many people are actually in my class. A lot. Because after we all walked into the stage and sat down and then got back up, it was time to get our caps and gowns. And I counted each person as there name got called to collect their robe.

"Soon, you'll be up here getting diplomas instead of gowns," the vice principal exclaims. A few people laugh dryly, including me since I can't tell whether or not he was trying to tell a joke. I don't laugh too loudly though, just enough that just in case it wasn't a joke, I don't look like an idiot.

After school, I decide to walk home. Just take in my surroundings because, as I look down at my cap and gown, I finally realize how confusing time is. One minute, it feels like your first day of freshmen year will go on for forever, and the next minute, you're walking home with only two days of school left, staring at your cap and gown. So I decide to use some of my time and take in the trees, and the houses, and even the sidewalk, because if four years of high school taught me anything, it's how time can change someone.