The Haunting - Butters Stotch

Butters Stotch x Reader

Song: The Haunting by Set It Off

"Hey, Butters." Butters Stotch, the happiest boy in South Park, Colorado (not including Pip Pirrup, who was recently thrown into hell by his bullies), jumped in place. He whirled his head around the dark alleyway that he had managed to get lost in, only to see a shadowy figure at the end of the way.

"H-hello? Who are you?" He whimpered, his hands trembling terribly as he tried to take a step away from the frightening figure.

She, as he had realized it was a female, threw her head back as she let out a bark of laughter. She turned her head back to him, taking a step forward and allowing herself to be illuminated by the street light. "Oh, you know who I am."

Butters had to bite back the scream he could feel rolled up his throat. "No-NO! My dad made me see a counselor because of you! That guy said you were just a hallucination, just a figment of my imagination!" His heart was racing, his eyes were wide and wild, and his body turned so that he could run away.

There was a lonely wisp of a breeze, however, and suddenly the girl was in front of him. She looked ethereal, with (h/l), (h/c) hair and stormy, (e/c) eyes. She wore a black leather jacket and black jeans, along with a pair of sharp heels that, Butters imagined, could pierce his jugular with one blow.

He was completely terrified at her appearance, especially because his parents had always informed him of how she was nothing more than his childhood imaginary friend. He never told his parents, because he didn't want to be grounded, but she had followed him into high school. But Butters had gotten real friends, people who didn't bully him or use him for their psychotic schemes, and she had finally faded away. Or so he had thought.

Y/n, his imaginary friend, sighed softly and stroked his cheek as she peered into his turquoise eyes. "My poor, poor Butters. You've missed me, haven't you?" Against his own will, Butters nuzzled his cheek into her palm. He barely realized that he was crying, only that he was feeling the same loving embrace he had when he was a child.

He nodded slowly, letting out a rough sob of emotion as she pulled him to her chest.

"It's okay now, Butters, I'm here for you." Closing his eyes tightly, Butters tried to imagine something less upsetting. When he forced his eyes open again, Y/n's outfit had changed completely. She was now wearing a pale blue dress that went to her knees, a pair of white flats, and her hair was curled against her cheeks. She looked like the warm mother he had always wanted, but had never had because of his toxic relationship with his parents.

Y/n ran her thumb against his cheek again, and Butters let out a soft hiss of pain. There was a slow-forming bruise on his cheek, given to him by Cartman's generously sized fist yesterday after he refused to help him in a scheme. The (h/c) haired girl cooed softly to the blond before her, trying to comfort him as he felt the swell of emotions that he had been building up for years.

He had always imagined he was happy when he was with his friends. He had always thought that he laughed just the right amount, that he had smiled brightly enough to take away the terrors of the real world, but it seemed he hadn't. That's why he was back in the arms of the only girl who had ever liked him, his family included. And she was imaginary.

Biting her lip softly, Y/n felt tears welling in her eyes. "Butters, look at me." Knowing that tears were in his own eyes, Butters refused. He looked at the brick wall beside him, trying to blink back the tears. Y/n, however, was not going to give up on him that easily. "Butters..." She whispered, moving so that their faces were only an inch apart. "Look. At. Me."

This time, he did as he was told. He stared straight into her eyes, and was immediately filled with a sensation of relief. He let out a soft gasp in shock, especially as he realized that he felt as though he was a child again. His eyes, still damp from the tears, were shining with a newfound purpose.

Perhaps he had fallen back onto the only girl who cared about him. Perhaps he had fallen in love with an imaginary person. He didn't know, nor did he care. All he knew was that, for the time being, he was going to be okay. After all, Y/n was by his side once again.

Leaving the alleyway of his mind, Butters found himself back in the closet that Stan Marsh had locked him in, three hours ago. He recalled that when he was first brought into the closet, his chest was heaving and his heart was beating erratically. Tenderly, Butters placed a pale hand onto his heart now. It was beating at a calm pace, almost like someone was pressing a button every time he needed it to beat.

He looked around him, only seeing Stan's clothes and a few scraps of their childhood in the form of toys and footballs. Y/n wasn't there. He closed his eyes slowly, opening them again once reality had been sent away from him. Butters was still in the closet- no amount of dreaming would take him away from that- but, using his imagination, Y/n was sitting across from him now. She gave him a goofy smile and reached up towards the door knob, informing him of her plan as she did. "I'm going to set you free, Butters!" She declared, and Butters felt a swell of emotion within him.

"You already have, Y/n. You already have."