100 Prompts - 2. Kenny McCormick

Prompt: "Hey, hey, calm down. They can't hurt you anymore." 

-------

He watched her sleep, watched the way her chest rose and fell as her hands fell loosely at her sides. She was never this relaxed when she was awake, so he had to appreciate the moment of calm while he could. He looked at her lips, brushed with the most faint smile that she would be quick to cover and hide if she was awake. 

God, Kenny loved this girl. 

With a pale, trembling hand that had more scars and bruises than he could count, he ran his thumb along her forehead. Her eyes scrunched up and she squirmed a little in her sleep, causing Kenny to feel a slight prick of worry. What was going on? Was she alright? 

Suddenly, Y/n jerked up, gasping and grasping for Kenny, her eyes still closed and tears beginning to fall out of them. "Kenny, oh, oh, help me..." she murmured, half awake, and Kenny quickly scooped her up into his arms, attempting to soothe her as she whimpered. 

"Hey, hey, calm down... They can't hurt you anymore." 

Y/n shook her head feverishly, grabbing onto his shoulders and opening her eyes, staring through his as she spoke. "Not me, you. You died... you died again, and this time, you didn't come back. Someone stopped it, someone made it so I could never get you back..." She sobbed softly, leaning her head against his shoulder and feeling him rub at her back, though he was staring forward himself, a little shell shocked. 

They had never talked about how he died and came back to life. 

He had assumed that she was like everyone else, because the first time he died around her, he was back the next day and she pretended like it never happened, just like everyone else. 

Kenny decided this was as good a time as any to speak to her about it, and turned her to face him, determined to explain that her dream was impossible because he had tried to never come back before they were together and it had never been an option. He turned toward her, trying to lift her off his shoulder but noticing how much she sagged against his body. Kenny also tried to listen to her breathing, only to sigh...

She was asleep again. 

Oh well, he'd just be able to prepare himself and talk to her in the morning, as long as she would get up and would be willing to listen. He couldn't completely count on that as an option, as he knew that she forgot her midnight murmurings quite a lot, but it was possible that this wasn't one of those situations and that she would actually remember it all and would talk to him and they would figure out how to handle everything. 

But, for now... Kenny slowly laid down, his arms encasing her so that he didn't disturb her slumber, preparing the two of them for some well needed sleep...