Last Minutes - Scott Malkinson

Warning! There will be implications, heavy and light, of suicide, depression, self harming, and the feeling of loss! If this is very triggering to you, I strongly suggest and beg that you do not subjugate yourself to this story! Thank you, and have a pleasant New Year! 

Date written: January 1st, 2018 

For: GenesiGalaxy

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

The world swam around me as I laid on the bathroom floor, my eyes hazy as I tried to fight for my own life. What a patch of irony, huh? 

Only moments ago, I was trying to end it. 

My (s/t) fingers slowly ebbed their way into my throat in a feeble attempt to cough up the many pills I had swallowed. I dry heaved, but nothing was willing to come out. I cried silently, scared and knowing that the chance of me actually surviving this was far too slim. 

I, in an almost drunken stupor, moved towards my phone. Maybe I could call for help... My heart fluttered as I thought of the hospital, and the idea of being save and living another day gave me a small boost of energy to grab my phone and dial 9-1-1. 

There was a brief pause before a sweet sounding voice came through the phone, 

"9-1-1, what'th your emergenthy?" The male voice questioned, and I whimpered at the relief of having someone there to comfort me in my last minutes. 

My eyes blinked the tears away before my voice came out, shaky and hoarse. "I...I'm dying..." I gulped at the thought, and also because the pills were trying to push their way back up, as I rested my head against the bathtub. 

"Ma'am? What do you mean? Have you been hurt?" The man spat rapid fire questions at me, but I merely smiled because I could hear a lisp in his voice that could distract me from the aching and burning of the pills working rapidly inside my body.

"No... I... I took too many pills..." I felt myself cringe as I spoke, though the thought of him judging me was far from my mind. I did not know, nor had I ever known, this human on the other end of the phone, but his voice and his mere presence cause me some comfort. 

There was only a moment's pause before he spoke once again, "You've tried to kill yourthelf?" Perhaps suddenly he realized what was going on because his voice grew softer and I could imagine him sitting down, his eyes growing weary like mine were. Perhaps we were of the same soul, and perhaps we were meant to have kindred hearts. 

He whimpered, a sure fire sign he was crying for me, as he told me his name. "I'm Scott... Can-Can you tell me you name, ma'am?"

"Y/n..." I paused,  "I'm not going to be living much longer, am I?" Reality had finally sunken in for me as my chest grew heavy and my heart pumped harder than it ever had. Was this it? Was I dying? 

Scott spoke to someone else on the other end of the phone before returning to me, "Now, please don't speak like that. I've requested an ambulance to your home right now, and they'll be there in ten minutes. Just hold on, Y/n. We're going to help you." He seemed worried, and in the back of my mind, I almost wondered why. Not that I could hold onto the thought for very long, because the next thing I knew, I was staring at the ceiling and wondering who had chosen that boring grey color for it. 

"Stay with me, Y/n. Tell me about yourself, tell me what brought you to this..." 

I took a deep breath, my lungs screaming as they allowed me a sacred breath once more. "I'm... I'm (age), and I live in (city)..." my eyes closed as I pictured the happy city, bustling with people and my friends and I having wild adventures throughout the city. "It's a beautiful place, Scott..." My voice cracked as I said his name, and Scott cried harder on the other end.

"I... I bet it is." I wondered why he was upset; he didn't know me. He never had seen my face, had never seen me in passing or gone to high school with me. Yet he cared for me. He cared so much about me dying that he was willing to cry. Isn't that

Third Person POV

Scott called to Y/n, his voice desperate and straining. "Just, just hold on! The medic said she's right outside your home!" The aforementioned medic knocked twice before unlocking the door with a skeleton key, moving to Y/n's side and sighing softly as she checked the glossy eyed girl's pulse.

"She's gone."