Chapter 23

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 23
"ᴏʟᴅ ꜰʀɪᴇɴᴅꜱ"

The park was calm and serene, everything Jungkook needed after the week he'd just been through. Jimin acted distantly and Jungkook still couldn't figure out why. There was no room for friendly conversations, nor for laughter anymore. The angel only checked on him once a day, most of the time when he was sleeping. The only reason Jungkook knew this is was because he pretended to sleep as soon as he felt Jimin's presence one day. The elder would do nothing more than tuck him in or move some stray hairs out of his face before sighing and leaving again. As much as it broke Jungkook's heart, it at least gave him some time for himself.

Walking through the park was always calming. He liked to do it a lot when he was restless or troubled. It was a habit he had picked up from Namjoon. Even when they were little the elder had an affinity with nature. Whenever Jungkook would feel sad, he would take him to the nearby forest where they would climb in trees and run in between them. At first, he thought it was weird, but as he grew older he started to see the appeal.

Normally it was calming and gave him time to think, but this time was different. Something felt out of place. In between the grey strangers that gave off no particular aura other than stress and rush, there was someone different, someone inhuman. The creature he was looking for wasn't a demon or an angel. There was no clear feeling of dread nor hope. Still, it was enough out of place to make Jungkook look around erratically.

The atmosphere got lost in the small crowd around him. He wondered how he could have such a hard time pinpointing who it was. Normally he'd be able to sense the person from a mile away but this person seemed more hidden almost undetectable. It was in a way as if he had seen something from the corner of his eye, yet when he turned around there was nothing there. Surrounding him were only humans. No wings or black eyes could be spotted in the crowd. For a moment he just stood there, lost and confused. Until a loud and clear voice rang through the air, making him turn around quickly.

"Yo, boy!" an eerily familiar voice called.

Jungkook turned around. A man only a few years older than him was sitting on one of the benches. His hair was black just as his irises, yet the darkness looked friendly. His clothes were dull as was his expression. He generally looked like a person that was neither friendly nor mean. He seemed like just another passing face. If his aura hadn't felt so different Jungkook probably would've just disregarded him. Still, the man made Jungkook feel at ease in a weird way. All sense said the man was an angel except for one thing; there was no sense of purity, no sense of heaven. The serenity was polluted, much like a human. That and he didn't have wings sprouting from his back nor a halo adorning his neck.

Carefully the younger walked closer. He focused on his mark. Even though the man seemed harmless, Jungkook had learned more than once not to trust appearance. He stopped once he stood right in front of the man. They just looked at each other for a second. The man had a look in his eyes Jungkook could not decipher. It was a weird mix of melancholy and recognition, yet he was sure they had never met before. 

"Hello, Jungkook," the man greeted. The younger just raised an eyebrow in puzzlement.

"Who are you? What are you?" Jungkook asked, the second question even more muddled than the first one.

"You can call me Min Yoongi. As for what, why don't you tell me? You're the man with the ability, I've heard." Yoongi said, leaning back on the bench. Jungkook took a long look. For a moment he wondered if the man was testing him, whether he was just making sure he had the right man before striking. Nevertheless, Jungkook decided to answer, his curiosity getting the better of him.

"An angel, but you're very human-like. It's like you tried changing your race, it's weird," he slowly explained, never taking his eyes off the elder.