Chapter 39

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 39
"ᴏᴠᴇʀ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡɪɴᴛᴇʀ ʟᴀᴋᴇ"

When he opened his eyes again, his ears were still ringing. He could hear the pressure building in a steady rhythm. Even his own breathing sounded like static, getting louder and more disgruntled as time went on. It was all overwhelming, making him feel sick to his stomach from simply living. Jungkook felt like his heart was ready to explode, his level of anxiety kept rising but it simply couldn't beat any faster. Maybe that was why he felt a weird strain in his chest, like a tightness and building pressure.

His breathing felt extremely light, as did his head. It was almost as if he was floating. His body felt distant. When he moved his fingers he was painfully aware of every muscle that contracted and relaxed, every bone that moved, every artery that sent blood to his fingertips. The floorboards under his touch felt dusty and rough as he pushed himself off the floor. Extreme detail seemed to be his new background noise.

Blood rushed slowly to his head again, his feet growing slightly more stable. As his mind cleared up, what had happened dawned on him. His apartment was in shambles. Photos from friends and family were blown off the walls, the kitchen cabinets creaked open and the books on their shelves thrown around on the floor. The cross to which Namjoon had prayed fervently so many days laid now splintered on the floor. It was almost as if an earthquake had hit them.

The only thing that proved different were the four shapes scattered around the room. Jungkook's eyes first fell on Taehyung. His skin was now paler than it was before, his eyes still as cold and distant as they had been. Streaks of blood still covered his face, the colour now having turned into a revolting brown. A wave of nausea overcame him looking at his boyfriend's corpse again, but he managed to keep it in, swallowing the brocks in his throat. His hands were still shaking and his breathing was unsteady as he turned around, not being able to bear looking at him anymore.

Two angels laid closer together than the others. Held up by only the wall, their wings completely limp. A combination of blue and purple covered the side of Younghyun's face. Even as he laid with peace, one cheek was swollen. Their breathing was shallow, but still there, showing Jungkook they were just knocked out.

The human turned to the last person in the room, the one he had most trouble facing. There was no tension in the angel's body, no sign of struggle in his expression. For a moment, Jungkook could almost pretend as if the elder was only asleep. But he knew better. He had done this. He had blasted them all away, screamed until his lungs gave out and beaten them all unconscious, if not worse.

Slowly, with fear sitting heavy in his stomach, he limped over to the angel's body. He kneeled down and let his fingers run over the elder's throat. A steady heartbeat could be felt under his touch. Relief flooded through him, enough to let one tear roll down his cheek. He didn't even realise he had been holding them back. Adrenaline had overruled everything, but the sight of the angel completely helpless and hurt, and the knowledge that it was all of his doing, spread fear and most of all guilt into his system.

Jungkook had the strange urge to shake the angel awake. To cry on his shoulder and let him tell that everything was going to be alright. But he knew he couldn't do that. He had attacked them all. He was no better than a demon. He knew very well that Jimin would now get orders to strike him down soon, or even worse. Jungkook was now a danger to them. 

He wasn't even sure what had happened. The human just remembered how panic flooded his system. Fear, anger and grief were all running wild. It was as if a wildfire had lit up within him, destroying everything in its path, numbing his brain and fueling something he wasn't aware he had. He had screamed until his lungs had caved in and struggled until his body fell flat on the floor. A light had spread from within him, a feeling of warmth and comfort yet extreme power, almost like a blowtorch. That was the last thing he remembered.

His hands were shaking just thinking about it. He didn't know how he did it or what had happened. He hadn't meant to do it either. But he couldn't take it back.

He had to leave.

With another tear rolling down his face, and an uneasy feeling in the pit of his stomach, he pushed himself off the floor. He was still limping and he looked like a mess, and he knew that he would get weird stares from strangers which weren't kind to his anxiety, but anything was better than staying here and welcoming death.

For a second Jungkook wondered whether he should leave something for Namjoon, to tell him that he shouldn't worry. But he knew that anything he left the angels could use against him. They would find him sooner or later, they had centuries of advantage. Jimin had found him, to begin with, and that was even after he had tried his best to not react to any angels or demons. It wouldn't take them long to find him again, but he could at least try to run.

He left the apartment in shambles, hurrying down the stairs. He didn't even think to bring a coat, meeting the cold winter air in solely a sweater. He knew it would only get worse during nightfall. Jungkook walked for some time before the thoughts in his mind had gained too much strength. Breathing grew more difficult with each step he was taking, guilt growing heavier in his body, slowing him down. Shivers ran up and down his spine, shaking his entire body. He knew he was getting paler. He knew he would hardly survive the night if he couldn't find shelter. 

It all weighed down heavily on him until he could barely breathe. He wasn't sure how much he had walked, or where he was even walking to, but he knew that if he would continue walking right now he would eventually fall down from exhaustion. With that in mind, he turned into an alleyway, sitting down on the cold and wet cobbles beneath him. With his knees tucked tightly to his chest, he let his tears fall. 

Sobs quickly broke his form. The sound just echoed eerily between the buildings. With every tear he released, he hoped another thought would find his way out of his mind. But no matter how much he tried to quiet down his anxiety, it wouldn't leave him alone. He could already feel a full-blown panic attack rising within him, and he knew he couldn't do anything about it.

Jungkook wasn't sure how much time had gone by before he heard footsteps coming closer. Only when he pulled his head out of the panicked state he was in, did he sense who was approaching him. Even through his teary vision, the elder looked kind and sympathetic, a sad smile adorning his face.

"Come on," Yoongi said, holding out his hand. "I'll get you somewhere safe."

Jungkook wasn't sure why he decided to trust him, but he did. A man who was neither a demon nor an angel, but instead had warned him about both. He had been warning him since the beginning. Maybe he should've listened. The least he could do now was take his hand and follow him. So that's what he did. Yoongi pulled him close and disappeared with him.

──────────────────

I have my driving test on Monday, kill me.