Chapter 44

Get your tears and pitchforks ready, because this is gonna be a long and emotional ride.

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 44
"ɴᴏ ᴍᴏʀᴇ"

When Jungkook opened his eyes, everything around him was light. The walls were white, reflecting into his vision harshly, like neon. Jungkook couldn't tell whether there was a ceiling or not. Above him, there was just white as far as the eye could see. Underneath him, there was mist so thick that he couldn't even see the floor. Still, the room didn't feel clammy, quite the opposite actually.

His breathing was light as the air seemed to have no weight at all. The long intakes of breath he was taking felt as if hardly any substance was pushed into his lungs, nothing pushing down like it usually did. He just remained there, floating in his mind and in his body, his soul lifted as well. And he had never felt more carefree than at that moment. He closed his eyes, revelling in it for just a moment.

The aura around him suddenly got smudged. Something felt different, darker. Jungkook knew who he was going to see before he even opened his eyes. It only got confirmed when he looked at the end of his bed again and was only met with Jimin's worried gaze. 

"You're awake," the angel observed. Jungkook simply nodded, sitting up in the bed. The fabric felt soft underneath his touch.

"When did I pass out?" he asked. 

"Basically as soon as we arrived here," Jimin said. "It happens a lot to people who come here, I guess it was to be expected that the same would happen to you."

As Jungkook simply nodded, an uncomfortable silence fell between them. Too many words were left unsaid, too much horror left without closure. Nothing Jimin could say could undo what he had done. He couldn't make Jungkook feel better like he normally would. It was as if his words held no power anymore, his syllables doused in gasoline, only needing that one spark from Jungkook, one gaze of discontent, to spark it and burn the words up into ashes. Jimin very much felt the same.

He couldn't take feeling so distant to Jungkook. He had fallen for him too much to be able to handle his cold stares. Jimin could feel the cracks in his heart widen with every fearful gaze. He hated what he had become. He hated how weak and emotional he was now, how little control he had over his thoughts and even worse his actions. It was almost as if he was running solely on instinct, like some kind of animal. He needed to be rational, but all reason seemed to leave him when he looked into Jungkook's eyes again. Maybe that's why he started talking again.

"I'm sorry," Jimin blurted out. Jungkook just stared at him with wide eyes. "I'm sorry for killing him. I was acting on instinct. I saw him lunge for you and my sole reaction was to protect you. I should've thought more about my actions."

Jungkook didn't reply. He just stared at his hands which laid clasped together on his lap. Jimin didn't expect him to answer. He knew he wouldn't be forgiven so easily, he thought that maybe he would never, but he had to say it. He had to offer Jungkook the chance for closure, and himself the chance to heal.

There wasn't any more time to dwell on the past as a gush of wind flew through the room again. Jaehyung had appeared next to Jimin, his expression serious as always.

"I requested for you," he said. Jimin couldn't help but gulp. He had tried to outrun him. Conversations with Jae were rarely good, especially now since he felt it would be more of a correction session. He wanted to see Jungkook wake up, to look after him and talk to him, but Jae had requested for him before he could do so. Now he had no choice but to go.

"Jungkook, you can go with Younghyun. He will be here in a moment," the elder said. Jungkook just nodded, feeling the familiar guilt creep up in his mind at the thought of the bruised angel.