Chapter 43

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 43
"ꜱᴀᴠᴇ ᴍᴇ"

His heart was beating loudly in his chest. The blood rushed through his body with such a high velocity that it almost made him feel nauseous. Jungkook could hear his heartbeat behind his ears, the pressure in the back of his head building as he kept on running. Every step had an impact up to the top of his head and every heartbeat only made the hit that much rougher. His throat was getting drier with every shaky inhale as if he was swallowing sand. He could feel it prick in his airpipe and cloud his lungs as they desperate started to scream for oxygen.

It was no longer just the pressure building in his head anymore that was making him feel light-headed. The world became blurry and unsteady as with every gasp he took his throat was getting tighter. He desperately needed to breathe but it seemed like an impossible task getting further out of reach with each strainful step. Jungkook only realised a moment later that tears were brimming in his eyes. He didn't get the time to ponder on whether they were there from oxygen deprivation or the fear still running wild inside him.

Before Jungkook could register what was going on, his foot caught on something and he was sent tumbling down to the pavement. After he felt his body hit the cold floor, the world seemed to move slower. His ankle ached terribly, almost like he had snapped his foot the wrong way, but he only realised that after a few quiet moments. At first, he just lied there, his cheek pressed against the raw and wet stone beneath him as he felt the world spin around him. He felt torn skin on his fingertips and palms where he had tried to catch himself before hitting the ground. It stung, but he hardly registered it. His mind was still slow and his chest was aching, as was his head. 

When he could sense the ground beneath him again, Jungkook tried to push himself up. He could feel the gravel prick into his torn skin, sand and dirt getting stuck in between the sticky blood. He hissed when trying to put weight on his ankle again. He could hardly move it anymore, feeling his muscles pull at every attempt.

The adrenaline rushed back into his system promptly. He could feel two eyes burning on his helpless form. As he looked up from his cracked ankle, he started right into them. Two pitch-black pools could be seen in the distance, their intent was menacing, their owner even more so. The demon's simply smirked as he spotted his target laying on the floor in pain. It instantly made Jungkook's heart stutter.

He didn't care about the pain in his ankle or the wobbly state of his knees, he needed to get away. With adrenaline as his sole motivation, he stood up and sprinted. His ankle was screaming with every step, making Jungkook bite down his whimpers and furiously blink away the tears that were forming again. It got worse with every step he took. At this point he wasn't even aware anymore where he was or how far he had run, he just knew it was never far enough from the creature still following him. Jungkook knew he couldn't take it for much longer, but hopefully, he could stand it just enough to run away.

His breath was coming out in pants again. He could feel the dark energy come closer to him, his form burning more and more with every second, like the hellfire licking at his heels. Every time he felt like giving up, the thought of the demon behind him motivated him as if he was hit by a whip. He couldn't stop running, because the demon was never far enough away. As he looked back, that only got reassured.  He could only see a hand reaching out to him. Before Jungkook could do anything, the fingers wrapped around his throat, pulling him off his feet with inhuman strength.

The human felt his back hit a wall painfully, the bricks digging tightly into his spine. The grip around his throat tightened. Jungkook's eyes, which had closed on impact, immediately shot open. His hands automatically found their way to the demon's wrist. The creature just stared back at him with his cold and empty gaze as Jungkook's grew more desperate with each molecule of oxygen leaving his body. The human scratched and hit, clawed and punched, but the demon just held him with his iron grip. Jungkook could do nothing but gasping for air as best as he could under the creature's fingers. Tears grew in his eyes, which were almost popping out of his sockets at this point. The demon didn't let up. Jungkook still couldn't breathe, and his vision was starting to get dangerously dark around the edges.