Chapter 1

Don't be a silent reader :-)

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 1
"ᴍᴀʏ ᴛʜᴇꜱᴇ ᴡᴏʀᴅꜱ ʙᴇ ᴛʜᴇ ꜰɪʀꜱᴛ"

"Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?'" the man at the front of the church proclaimed.

His robes dragged over the marble floor, rising slightly every now and then as he raised his arms in big gestures. His voice was loud and clear, echoing through the hall. His words held no hesitation, after all, he had read those books a thousand times.

"As you can read Jesus had many gifts, some of which he taught and preached to us. We might not be able to drive out demons in this society but we can however free people from their demons. Drunkards, women overtaken by pleasure, addicts, liars; overall sinners. We can save them and set them free," the man proclaimed. "Let us save them from the demons clouding their judgement and believes. Anyone around you can use your help. Be not just there for friends and family, but be there for anyone who needs guidance. We all have our demons, we all could use the help of others to defeat them."

The other churchgoers nodded in agreement, some mumbling among themselves. All were completely entranced by the preacher's words, all except one. Jungkook just sat there wishing he could disappear right about now.

He had agreed to accompany his roommate Namjoon to church today. His friend was religious and went every week, sometimes twice. Even though Jungkook didn't believe in God he had been in this church more than any other non-believer. Let's just say this wasn't the first time had sacrificed his Sunday morning to spend it listening to a priest with his best friend by his side.

He often felt out of place in this big building only used to proclaim something he didn't believe in. Yet at the same time, he felt welcome. Maybe it was just the general atmosphere of the church. High, light, warm, anything that gave him the feeling of being in heaven. Even though the words being spoken did nothing to him, being in a church made him feel safe.

That's also why he normally didn't have much of a problem with it. Listening to those verses and hearing people's thoughts about it wasn't as boring as he had first thought, probably because he was used to it by now. Today, however, was different. Of all the verses the man could read today, he chose one about demons. Just the word caused shivers to run down his spine.

Many people used the word to signify dark thoughts or sin, however, real demons were much different. They were pure evil wrapped inside a body. They were boiling with anger like the fiery pits of Hell itself. And their powers; they seemed infinite sometimes. They could make people depressed, envious or insane. It was not just emotions they could control either. They also controlled people's actions with just a snap of their fingers. They could make people argue, fight, or even worse, kill.

Jungkook would know, he had seen it happen before, he had seen them before. Where normal people would just see another person sitting in a café, he would see an innocent soul trapped by a monster. He would see a creature of immense power that had ripped apart a thousand souls only to let his own fall further in despair.

To say Jungkook feared them would be an understatement; he was terrified of them. He had seen the impact they could have. With only one look they had made people's lives into Hell. He didn't want anything to do with them. He stayed away and out of sight. He knew better than to interfere with them.

The church bells ran loudly signifying the time, twelve o'clock. It shook Jungkook out of his thoughts and back into the reality around him.

"I'm afraid it is time to stop this service. The house of God is always open for you if you want to stay," the priest said before closing the big, leather-bound book he was holding.

Namjoon stood up, his friend quickly following. Jungkook stretched his arms only realizing how sore he actually was once he stood up. Together they walked out of the big, stone building. When they stepped into the sun they immediately the warmth of the outside world was very noticeable without the shade of the church protecting them. It was spring so the temperatures were rising again.

Something, however, felt off. It was just a normal spring day. The trees were donning blossom and birds were flying about. Still, something caught his attention. A feeling of safety, of an enlightened being, someone with a higher understanding who sent of an aura just like that.

Jungkook knew what it was. He would recognise the feeling anytime and anywhere. One of them was near. He let his gaze slide over the people around him. They all looked a lot happier than they were before. Smiles were written on their faces and they were talking in light tunes.

He didn't let those emotions consume him until he stopped to look at one particular boy on the other side of the street. His hair was a silver colour just like the wings that sprung from his back. He was wearing normal clothes; skinny jeans, a white shirt and some ordinary sneakers. Regardless of the simplicity, he was beautiful. The energy around him felt serene and peaceful, almost pure. Jungkook couldn't help but let a small smile creep on his face.  

At least until the boy looked up. For a second their gazes met. Jungkook felt as if all air had been knocked out of his lungs. The angel was staring straight at him. Never had one of the creatures do that before. They had always ignored each other, keeping out of each other's business. Why would an angel suddenly notice him now? Suddenly his happiness turned to panic. Why was he staring back at him? Had he done something wrong? Had they found out about his gift?

The thoughts raced through his mind, numbing his reception of the outside world. He couldn't hear the voice calling out to him. He could only hear total silence as he slowly crumbled under the angel's gaze.

"Jungkook?" a familiar voice asked from beside him, louder this time. He felt a hand press firmly on his shoulder. Jungkook broke free and quickly turned around. He was met by the face of his best friend.

"Are you alright? I've called your name like ten times already, man," he asked raising an eyebrow.

Jungkook turned back around, looking for the boy, but he was not there. The angel was gone just like the feeling of safety and serenity in his life. He knew this was just the beginning.

──────────────────

So I saw some plotholes and inconsistencies so I'm going to rewrite the chapters I have already. At the moment I'm writing this there are only 24 chapters published. Any chapters that do not have a title like this chapter are ones I haven't re-wrote yet so please bear that in mind, thank you.