Chapter 7

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 7
"ᴛʀᴜꜱᴛ ɢᴇᴛꜱ ʙʀᴜɪꜱᴇᴅ"

The chattering of many people was just one of the many sounds in the canteen. It was almost overwhelming together with the noise the cutlery scraping against the plates, plastic containers creaking and chairs being moved every now and then made. It was loud but in a comfortable way. After all it was just background noise. All of it morphing together until you could hardly differentiate the different sounds. It was just one noise; singular.

Most people could generally focus on the conversation with the few people beside them. Still, the conversation between Jungkook and Jimin was nothing but silence. They just awkwardly sat across from each other, looking around and letting the background noise become the main conversation.

"Other people can see me now, you can just talk to me without appearing like a lunatic," Jimin suddenly said trailing his fingers over the table, drawing invisible shapes. The younger's eyes followed them slowly.

"I know, I just don't know what to talk about," Jungkook said, not meeting his gaze.

Instead, he just looked at Jimin's hands. What caught his attention were the spots on his knuckles. Blue, black and purple adorned them. Jungkook's breath got stuck in his throat just a second. He remembered why he had those marks and instantly felt guilt wash over him. Even though they probably hardly hurt the angel, it was a painful reminder of the reason Jimin was following him around.

"Did I scare you, earlier today?" he carefully asked, seemingly noticing the change in his expression. Jungkook thought for a second before shaking his head.

Jimin folded his hands and put them on his lap, realising Jungkook was still staring at them. This way he caught Jungkook's gaze, even if it was just for a second, it was enough. Maybe his conclusion wasn't entirely wrong.

"It's alright if you are, you don't have to lie to me," Jimin stated. He could see Jungkook tensing up. The human had hoped he could hide his true thought-paths, but it seemed sadly he could not. Jimin could see right through him like he was a piece of glass, it gave a slightly distorted image but still, it was clear.

"I'm not as much scared, or not of you at least, it's just..." Jungkook started. He wasn't quite sure what he wanted to say. He wasn't quite sure what he felt either for that matter. He was trying to put into words what he couldn't even think straight about.

"Just?" Jimin asked after some time. He didn't want to rush his friend or make him feel uncomfortable, but it seemed that in this situation there was no right answer. Jungkook had to be honest, secrets and worries would only break their trust.

"This isn't child's play, this is serious. There are lives on the line here and I just don't want anyone to get hurt," Jungkook rambled, getting all his pinned up emotions out in less than a second. He hoped Jimin didn't hear half of it.

"No one is going to get hurt, Jungkook. I will protect you and I will protect your friends, no demon will get near you, I promise," Jimin said, putting his bruised hand on Jungkook's slightly shaking one.

"What about you?" Jungkook asked, looking up at the warmth surrounding his fingers. Jimin's touch calmed him down just slightly, even though nerves were still racking through his body.

"Me?" Jimin wondered out loud, confusion evident in his tone. Jungkook looked back at their intertwined fingers, not being able to hold the angel's gaze.

"Yes, you're getting hurt," Jungkook said matter-of-factly. Jimin just gave him a sweet smile.

It dawned on him that no other human had cared about him as the younger did. Most were just scared, but Jungkook was caring even though he seemed distant every now and then. It was obvious the human didn't know what to say and that his nerves got the best of him a lot of the time, nevertheless he was caring and meant well. It made the angel's heart feel a new and different kind of warmth.

"It's my job to take hits so you don't have to, Jungkook. Either way, you shouldn't worry. I'm not broken easily," Jimin said in a kind timbre. He rubbed the top of the younger's hand with his thumb.

"I know," Jungkook muttered, softly touching the purple stains on his friend's knuckles. The care with which he did showed the angel more than enough.

"Good," Jimin said, letting go of his friend's hand. They both immediately missed the contact but neither of them dared to reach out again.

Jungkook didn't exactly mind physical contact but he didn't often engage it. Skinship was just mostly awkward for him. It felt like he was intruding someone's personal space or someone was intruding his. However, when Jimin would touch him it was different. Their fingers felt like they belonged together, fitting together perfectly. It calmed his mind yet it made his heart race, all in the most perfect way ever. It made everything else fade away for just a second.

Suddenly a ringing noise shook him out of his trance. It took the human a second to realise it was his phone ringing. Jungkook pulled it out of his pocket and quickly answered. Jimin just looked in interest.

"Hello?" Jungkook spoke, not having bothered to look at the name first. Before the other person spoke there were only sounds of people chattering, chairs being moved around and kitchen sounds, indicating that the person was in a public place.

"Hi, Jungkook, it's Daniel," the elder said in a rushed and slightly stressed tone.

"Hey, hyung," Jungkook greeted him, hearing footsteps and then the sound of a door closing.

"It's really busy here at the moment and I think even more people will come this afternoon. I think there's a show going on not too far away or something, so could you help out?" Daniel asked, letting out a sigh. Jungkook could basically see the elder run his hand through his hair in frustration.

"Of course. My last class is at one, so I'll come after that," Jungkook told.

"Okay, thank you!" Daniel said before hanging up. He didn't even have enough time to properly say goodbye to him. Jungkook just ended the call and pushed his phone back in his pocket, only noticing the angel staring at him after a few seconds.

"Who was that?" he asked.

"That was my boss. I work a part-time job at a coffee shop and he asked me if I could step in today because it's very busy," Jungkook explained. The angel nodded in understanding.

It was only then that Jungkook realised his mistake. He was in danger. Demons were following him around, he could hardly get to class without getting attacked. Jungkook was suddenly doubting his decision to come. He'd be surrounded by people for hours on end, he could not only put himself in danger but others as well.

"Should I go?" Jungkook asked the elder. Jimin just nodded without hesitation.

"I will scare away any demons. I think that after this morning they wouldn't dare to come closer again, at least for some time. Either way, I'll protect you," the angel explained.

Jungkook nodded, thinking again. He wasn't one hundred per cent sure he was safe, probably because he had lived in fear all his life. He never knew when demons or angels would pop up, he just knew what they were capable of and how close they could get. Even though he now had an angel protecting him he still liked to keep his distance. Well, at least from the demons, because with the angel next to him keeping his distance wouldn't be an easy job nor was it something he wished.

──────────────────

Wow, it's been two months. University has been taking up all my time, I'm sorry. Also, as you might've noticed if you read this book before the rewriting, Jin is no longer in charge of the coffee shop. That's now Daniel, the guy from Epik High, if you're wondering. So if the following chapters don't make sense yet, I'm sorry. I want Jin's storyline to be different.