Chapter 48

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 48
"66 ɴᴀᴍᴇꜱ"

The moonlight reflected eerily off the knife in Yoongi's grip. Mud was caked on his fingers, dirt staining the steel in his hands. It would've been better if the ground were drier. The inscriptions would've been more precise, less blurred by waterlines and sagging mud. Either way, the figures were clear. Anyone who knew anything about incantations knew what they were looking at.

It was a portal. A circle with sixty-six lines in and around it. Each had their own pattern. Some were clean, precise and symmetric others were messy with running lines and scratches as if blood was dripping from it. Jimin only recognized some of them. Demons often carried marks akin to the ones in the circle on one of their veins. It showed which darkness they had offered their lives to, or had lost their lives to.

Humans liked to think that darkness wasn't beyond vices and virtues, but it was much deeper than that. Greed wasn't just greed, it was tunnel-vision, materialism, superiority, and many other darknesses within one name. Each had their own place in Hell, and Yoongi seemed to know all of them by heart.

"Do you know how to enter Hell?" the elder suddenly asked, sitting back to look at his work. Jimin simply shook his head from where he was seated on the floor, his cold fingers digging into the even colder dirt.

"No," he answered.

"Well, basically what we have to do is call upon the sixty-six names of evil. We have to sell our soul to them and hopefully, they will see enough weakness in us to let us pass," Yoongi explained, carving another line full of dashes. "Do you know the sixty-six names of Hell?"

Jimin stared at the man. "I know some. I know Satan, of course, the harvester of evil, bringer of superiority and blind love. There's Zadyan, the bringer of fear, Preshta, the one who divides and I know Senay, the blind hatred," he said.

Yoongi nodded. "Those are a few, yeah," he muttered.

For a moment there was just silence. It gave Jimin time to let it dawn on him what kind of evil he was dealing with. These weren't just demons, these were those who made demons. They were calling upon those who made people fall into sin and who made sin itself, the original names for everything that caused humans suffering. On top of all of that, Jimin was weaker than he had ever been. His skin was pale from the cold and his legs had become too sore for him to support himself. He could hardly stand on his own now. Jimin knew he would never be able to fight, even a simple demon could be his downfall right now. But then again, Jimin knew he was only supposed to be cannon-fodder, to begin with.

No matter with how much sympathy and understanding Yoongi could look at him, Jimin still knew he was only supposed to be a distraction. If he would get to Jungkook the chance would be higher for the boy to get out, if he wouldn't, then the number of demons surrounding the boy might be small enough for Yoongi to fight past. If Jimin were to get stuck, if he were to drown in the endless dark pits of Hell and burn his hands and feet so bad he wouldn't even be able to crawl out, that would be a good riddance.

Jimin knew, and he understood. He had done something that was unforgivable. He couldn't even forgive himself for everything he had done. He had lost control of himself by falling in love and at a desperate attempt to find structure and orders, he had killed the one he cared for the most. That was something he would never forgive himself for, even if he managed to get Jungkook back. The younger would hate him with all his heart, be scared of everything he stood for and everything he touched, and Jimin would accept it. His heart would still be broken and the end would come for him sooner rather than later. At least he could rest with a somewhat clear conscience. Maybe some God out there would still see redemption in him and not let his soul turn to dust, but live on in one way or another. That was the best he could hope for.