Chapter 27: Even More Unexpected

Leo's POV

  All eyes were on me. No one dared to move, scared of what would happen if they did. I could hear my heart pounding in my ears and I could feel my hands shaking even though the were laying on the floor. I was unsure of what to do. I knew if I made one wrong move I would have my brains blown out.

   "What's the matter? Cat got your tongue?" Dorian's voice broke through the silence, echoing all around the quiet room. "Awe, come on. Lets play a game. It's called I win and you lose."

   He looked around with a triumphed smile on his face, as if expecting an applause for his ability to tell really bad 'jokes' from his minions. After no one moved he decided to keep talking. "You know Leo, I think you and your friends are a bit in over your heads."

   Even though I was at gun point my mouth opened and I spoke. "To bad I don't care what you think." I spat.

   "Woah, calm down, you're the one with a gun to your head." He laughed and flashed me a wicked smile. "It's like you want to die."

   "Maybe I am but at least I'm not doing things behind my government's back." Now it was my turn to smile.

   His smile left his face and a low growl made its way from deep in his throat. At that moment I knew, I screwed up. His finger moved to the trigger and he locked eyes with me.

   "I guess you do want to die."

   The thought of watching my own death scared me into shutting my eyes just as he was about to pull the trigger. There was a loud bang followed by many gasp. I flinched and it took a moment to realize I hadn't been shot. I opened one eye when I noticed that I wasn't in any pain. I saw Dorian staring down at his side with a shocked expression on his face. I followed his eyes to the blood seeping through the side of his shirt. Somebody had shot him before he could shoot me. His eyes began to move and I followed them again, this time they landed on Mark.

   He was on the ground, eyes wide and his face pale white. He was looking at the gun in his hands, his whole body shaking violently. There was a thud as Dorian's body slid off me and hit the floor. He was still alive but bleeding badly. For a moment nobody moved, nobody seemed to be breathing, then what was left of the guards rushed over to Dorian in a wave. I stood up, a bit dizzy, and rushed over to were Mark was laying.

   "Mark." I took a step toward him. Before I could take another step he began backing away, mumbling something along the lines of 'stay back'. 

   "Mark," I tried again, this time crouching down, "Hey, it's okay, come here."

   "I-I shot him." He was gripping onto the gun like his life depended on it. "Leo, I shot someone."

   "I know." I risked getting closer to him, "But you saved me." This time he didn't move away.

   "D-did I... Did I k-kill him?" His voice was just above a whisper.

   "No, you didn't kill him." I placed my hand on top of his and gently pulled the gun away from him.

   I glanced behind me and saw Marissa and Lyler standing together and handed them the gun. I grabbed Mark's hand and helped him to his feet. Not a moment later he basically collapsed into my arms. I stumbled slightly in surprise but caught myself.

   "Lets get him onto the ship." Marissa spoke up from behind me, Lyler had his arm around her waist.

   On our way over to my ship none of the guards attempted to stop us. Most of them had rushed off with Dorian, the others stood around awkwardly, unsure of what to do without their leader. The explosion had left a couple of scrapes and dents in my poor vessel. Nothing looked too bad though. Lyler helped me get Mark into the ship and hooked back up to my medical machine.

"Are you guys ready to leave this place?"

~~~~~~~~~~

   Chapter 27! How did you like it? It took all of my concentration and will power to finish it by today, but I did it. See you in the next chapter.