10

"I don't know if I've told you this but you've gotten thick as fuck," Monique said as she watched Demi shimmy into the two piece outfit that Trey had picked out for her. They were getting ready for the awards and although Trey had offered to hire a hair stylist and makeup artist for her, Demi called Monique instead. She wasn't certified but she certainly knew how to make you look good.

"Should I be taking that as a compliment?" Demi asked as Monique curled another piece of her hair.

"Bitch, yes. Like you've always been curvy since your dad is Mexican but you've been looking thicker than fucking gravy lately. Has Trey's mama been feeding you? You finally learned about collard greens and corn bread?" Monique asked, causing Demi to laugh out loud.

"No, oh my gosh. I hate you. Why are you like this?" Demi groaned as Monique combed through her curls, leaving her hair falling down her back in soft waves.

"Okay but seriously. Do you and Trey do anything besides have sex? I'm not kidding when I'm saying you've gotten really thick and we both know it's not because of what you've been eating. Or maybe it is..."

"Monique!" Demi squeaked as Monique just shrugged and sat next to Demi in the closet.

"Well I mean we go on dates and stuff...sometimes. But that's what brought us together in the first place, ya know?" Demi tried to explain, raising her hand to tuck a piece of hair behind her ear but Monique slapped it away.

"I know that's what brought y'all together but that shouldn't be what keeps you together. If you and Trey are gonna be serious about this, it can't just be sex all the time, Demi. Obviously, it's a crucial part of every relationship, but that shouldn't be the foundation that the relationship is built on, ya know?" Monique explained in the best way that she could. But Demi understood what she was saying. And that did often cross her mind but she had never brought it up to Trey. That would mean discussing the true fragility of their relationship and that wasn't something she had been trying to deal with.

"I'm just saying. Trey is obviously treating you well," Monique said as Demi stood up and did a turn in front of her.

"How do I look?"

"Like a nice thick bowl of oatmeal," Monique joked. "Nah, I'm kidding. This dress is gorgeous. Are you sure Trey picked it out?"

"Yeah. He actually has really good taste," Demi said as they walked out of the bedroom and went downstairs where Trey was waiting for them.

He was in a maroon jacket and slacks with a white button down. He had clearly just gone to get his hair cut down a little bit and his beard cleaned up.

"I'm buying you a whole new wardrobe after this," Trey said as he grabbed her hand and slowly turned her around.

"Okay. I'm gonna go. Have fun tonight. Try to come home but I'll understand if you don't." Monique kissed her cheek then shot her a wink before walking out of the front door.

"Let's go, love," Trey said, grabbing her hand and leading her out to the Escalade that was waiting for them.

Once they were inside, Trey rolled up the partition that she didn't know was there and instantly begin to ravish her vanilla scented neck. But what Monique said earlier had bothered her so she moved away from him a little bit.

"What's wrong?" He asked, trying to decipher her facial expression.

"Nothing." Demi shrugged. Trey pursed his lips as he straightened his back out and rolled the partition down. They didn't talk for the rest of the ride.

Once they were on the carpet, Trey held her close as they smiled for the cameras. Well, Trey smiled. Demi tried to but she just couldn't because of how uncomfortable she was. She was not meant to be on this carpet. The courthouse was her award show and the steps that led up to it was her red carpet. This was like being in a whole new world.