12

After throwing up for the fourth time that morning, Demi finally decided to throw the towel in and text Kira to tell her that she wasn't coming in today. That was one of the great things about her job. She wasn't required to be in the office every day but she still went because that was where she got the most work done.

Demi miserably dragged herself out of the bathroom and collapsed back on the bed into Trey's arms. He felt her forehead as she snuggled up to him, releasing a deep sigh to try to soothe her irritated stomach.

"So Rice Krispie treats and sour candy at three in the morning aren't a good idea," Demi moaned as Trey chuckled, running his hand up Demi's hoodie to rub her stomach.

"We're getting old," Trey replied as his motions started to send Demi back to sleep.

"Do you have to leave?" Demi whispered, keeping her eyes closed.

"Just for a few hours. I'll be back with lunch and hopefully you'll be feeling better. Then I'm yours for the rest of the day," Trey said as Demi sighed and nodded. She wanted to selfishly keep Trey in her arms forever but he did have an actual job to do, so she didn't kick up a fuss about him leaving her in her hour of need.

"I'm gonna start getting ready. Do you need anything?" Trey asked but Demi just shook her head. She whined as Trey's hand left her stomach and all of his warmth disappeared. Trey tucked her underneath his comforter then spread another blanket over that before going to get ready. By the time he came out of the bathroom, Demi was asleep.

A few hours later Demi was awoken by the sound of Kane barking. And he had to be loud because he was all the way downstairs. Demi rubbed the sleep out of her eyes as she walked down the stairs. As she got closer to the foyer, she could hear the sound of the doorbell. Should she open it? It wasn't like she lived here and whoever it was had to know that Trey wasn't home, right?

"Who is it, Kane?" Demi asked the small dog as she picked him up in her arms then opened the door. As if her day couldn't get any worse, April was standing there.

Technically, Trey didn't have to leave Demi alone this morning. He had no professional obligations to attend  to. It was more like family matters. He didn't get to do it yesterday, but after last night he was ready to cut into his brothers. He didn't know where his mom was because she wasn't answering his calls but he had asked his brothers to meet him for lunch.

Trey would say that he had a good relationship with his family. They weren't as close as they used to be but they all looked out for each other and that was enough for him. So, his brothers probably thought that they were looking out for him by acting like complete assholes to Demi, but they weren't. Demi wanted nothing more than to be accepted by his family again and he was going to make sure that happened, even if he had to coerce them into it.

"Hey, we ordered you a water if that's okay," Nikki said as he sat down at the table of the soul food restaurant. It wasn't okay but Trey wasn't planning on actually eating so he shrugged it off.

"I'm not that thirsty. I didn't even come here to eat if I'm being honest but I had to bring you to a public place so that I wouldn't have the urge to kick your asses," Trey nonchalantly admitted.

"Trey, what the fuck are you talking about?" Forrest questioned as Trey huffed.

"I'm talking about y'all blatantly disrespecting Demi last night when y'all didn't have the right to. Did she hurt me? Yes. Did I go through a rough time after she left? Yes. But that shit is between me and Demi. It don't got shit to do with y'all. So I'm a little irritated that y'all made her so uncomfortable that she was sick to her stomach. I'm not looking for y'all approval. I don't give a damn if you don't like her because I love her. But I will be damned if y'all think you can get away with disrespecting her," Trey ranted, his voice growing deeper as he went on. When he was finished, Forrest and Nikki just sat there staring at him like he was stupid.