15

Demi had lived tucked away in the safety nest of the suburbs of Dallas, Texas since she had been born. She wasn't born there, because her parents thought taking a vacation to New Mexico while her mom was nine months pregnant was a good idea, but she had been raised there. She had lived in the same house with some minor upgrades, even after her mom died. Her dad still lived in the same house even if it was just him who lived there. She didn't have any siblings, so she often felt guilty for leaving her dad behind but he assured her that he was fine.

"Damn, I forgot how big your house is," Trey said as he parked right in front of the water fountain. It was a statue of her mom, which seemed over the top at the time, but it was his dad's way of remembering her so she just let it be.

"You're one to talk," she giggled as she got out of the car, grabbing the Louis Vuitton duffle bag that Trey insisted she have after seeing the other one she had been about to use. They walked to the front door hand-in-hand, but before she could ring the doorbell, her father's housekeeper Lucinda opened the door.

"Demetria!" Lucinda exclaimed, breaking the grasp that she had in Trey's hand as she threw her arms around her.

"Lucinda," Demi tried to muster up the same excitement but she failed. Lucinda had been like a second mom to her after her mom died, but their relationship fizzled out when she found out that she had been sleeping with her father.

"It's so good to have you back. Your dad is so excited, I've been cleaning the house all day! He's in the kitchen," Lucinda said, opening the door wider so that they could come in.

Trey had a nice house but there was something about Demi's sprawling Dallas mansion with the roof jutted toward the sky that made him gasp in awe. He really did forget that her father was one of the best neurosurgeons in the country, and before her mom died she had been a successful realtor.

"Is that my Demi bug?" Eddie asked as they entered the kitchen. Demi dropped her bag on the counter, which Lucinda instantly whisked away, before her dad engulfed her in one of his warm hugs. She sunk into his arms and wrapped her arms around him as he kissed the top of her head.

"You've got to start visiting more often," Eddie said as he patted her back.

"I know daddy. I've missed you."

"I've missed you too. This is Trey, right?" Eddie said he pulled away.

"Yes sir," Trey said, holding his hand out for a shake. Eddie politely shook his hand and flashed him a warm smile.

"I assume you've been taking good care of my daughter? She's practically glowing," Eddie chuckled as he went back to whatever was cooking on the stove.

"Yes sir, I have."

"Call me Eddie, son. Dinner should be ready in a few. You guys got here earlier than I expected."

"That's okay. Trey's a little tired from the flight so do you mind if he goes to lay down for a little bit?" Demi asked as Eddie nodded.

"That's fine. Demi can show you her old room. I'm sure you guys can handle sleeping in the same bed without any funny business, right?" Eddie questioned as Demi's cheeks heated up.

"Yes, daddy. I'll be back down in a sec."

Demi grabbed Trey's hand and led him upstairs to her old room. Since she was the only child and there were two master bedrooms in the house, she had received the second one when she turned 10 and was deemed a big girl. She had her own walk in closet and bathroom, and she still had a queen sized canopy bed in the middle of the room. All of her old posters were still hanging up, and her piano was still by her window bed.