11

"Trey! I'm so glad you could make it on such short notice!" It was the first thing that came out of April's mouth after she swung open one of the French doors and saw Trey standing there with Demi. The second thing that came out of her mouth was, "oh, hi Demi."

April engulfed Trey in a hug but didn't extend Demi the same warm greeting. Still, Demi forced a tight lipped smile as they entered the air conditioned house. The grand, double story mansion that Trey had purchased for his mother was bustling with conversation as they walked further into the house. Everyone seemed to be either in the kitchen or the living room. Well, the women were in the kitchen. The men were in the living room with the kids.

Trey had two brothers: Forrest and Nikki. Nikki was married with two kids and Forrest had a girlfriend that he didn't intend on marrying anytime soon. Or at least that was what Trey had told her. Nikki's wife resembled Sanaa Lathan meaning she was absolutely gorgeous, while Forrest's girlfriend resembled Chanel Iman. Both women were stunning and Demi curled into herself as they greeted each other.

"I didn't know you guys were back to together," Nikki's wife Mia said as she engulfed Trey in a hug. Even though she didn't know her that well, Mia still wrapped her arms around Demi and affectionately squeezed her shoulders.

"Yeah," Demi trailed off, running her hand over the back of her neck as April entered the kitchen. She still didn't say anything to her.

"Well I'm happy for you both. Y'all are really cute together," Forrest's girlfriend Daija said as Demi simply smiled in response.

She was about to open her mouth to say thanks until she felt a small body collide with her legs, and she looked down just in time to see Aiden smile up at her. Demi wasn't around when Aiden was born but she knew that Trey absolutely loved his little nephew, often opting out of parties and club appearances to babysit the two year old.

"Hi there," Demi said, smiling down at the hyperactive boy as he raised his arms as if he wanted her to pick him up. Demi obliged and picked him up, settling him on her hip as she turned to Trey. "Did you say hi to Uncle Trey?"

"You ditching me for Demi, Aiden? I'm hurt," Trey joked, placing his hand over his heart as Aiden giggled.

April announced that dinner was ready so they all went into the dining room and took their seats, saying a quick prayer before digging into the meal that April had prepared.

It had been an hour since they arrived at April's house for dinner yet no one in his immediate family had said a word to her. His brothers' significant others tried to include her in the conversations as they sat around the dinner table, but then April would change the subject and start talking about something else before Demi could even get a word in. The person who had been the nicest to her was Aiden and that was only because in so many words he had told her that he liked the pretty pictures on her arms. Even now as they ate dessert, he was eating a bowl of ice cream while sitting on her lap much to April's dismay.

"Trey, are you going on tour anytime soon?" Trey asked as Demi released a quiet sigh and looked down at her phone. She didn't really want to hear Trey's answer because she didn't want to think about him leaving her for a long period of time.

"The label has brought it up but I'm not in any rush. I'm really enjoying myself right now," Trey answered, throwing his arm over Demi's chair.

She had been uncharacteristically quiet during the entire dinner and it made Trey feel horrible for even bringing her there in the first place. But it wasn't like he was going to break up with her just because his family was acting like a bunch of assholes. If Trey was able to forgive Demi, they should be able to to as well.