21

"I can't believe you dragged me to this college party," Trey mumbled as Demi led him out to the backyard where there were a lot less people. String lights were hanging from the trees and across the pool, and even though the door was closed they could still hear the music perfectly fine.

"I can't believe I dragged you out to a college party and no one recognized you," Demi chuckled as she tossed her empty cup into the nearby trash then leaned against Trey.

She wasn't drunk but she was definitely tipsy. It was the week of finals and everybody just wanted to let loose. Trey had came to visit her so instead of staying laid up with him in her dorm all night, she decided to take him to a party with their friends. It was nearing two in the morning and everyone was still going strong, but alcohol made Demi giggly and sleepy, which was why she was currently leaning against Trey.

"This Woman's Work" by Maxwell began to play and Trey held her close as she rested her head on his shoulder and they began to slowly sway in the night breeze. They had been dating for quite some time now. Things were getting pretty serious. They had met each other's families and friends, they spent every moment that they could together, and Demi basically lived at his house on the weekends. It was the first serious relationship that Demi had ever been in, and everything about it made her want to run away from him, but at the same time, she wanted to stay because she hadn't said the words yet, but she was in love with him.

Everything with him felt so right. She never wanted to be apart from him. She just wanted it to be the two of them forever. And sometimes she just wasn't sure if he felt the same way, but other times like now, when he held her as if it was his last day with her and he looked at her as if she created the universe and all of the stars in the sky, she knew that he loved her too. He just had to.

"Demi?" Trey said, causing her to lazily turn her head so that she was looking at him.

"Hmm?" She hummed as his fingers dug into the exposed skin on her sides, right where her "you make me beautiful" tattoo was.

"I love you," he blatantly stated, stopping their swaying motions as she lifted her head and looked at him.

"Really?" She asked as he nodded.

"Oh..." she dropped her head on his shoulder again, causing him to furrow his eyebrows.

"Good. Because I love you too," she replied after a few beats of silence. She didn't even have to look up to know that Trey was smiling. Because she was smiling too.

Demi made it to the top of the mountain that she had hiked with Trey on that random Saturday morning one time. It was dark outside because it was the middle of the night and it probably wasn't smart or safe for her to be out so far without anyone knowing where she was, but she just needed time to think. She needed time to be away from Trey. She needed time to heal.

After the funeral, she had stayed with him during the reception and everything. She stayed as they lowered April's casket to the ground. She stayed as he tried to make conversation with his relatives and his mother's friends. She was his rock, his backbone, which was what she had been trying to be all week. He didn't deny her that right in public. When they made it home, she basically had to undress him and tuck him in because he was that upset. And Demi totally understood, which is what she had been trying to tell him all week. He just didn't listen. She held him and listened to him cry and stayed for a good two hours to make sure he was really asleep before slipping out of the bed, changing her clothes, and leaving the house. She did check on Kayla and she seemed to be fine so Demi just walked away so that she could be by herself because there was a lot that she had to think about.