22

"Can everyone please gather in conference room A?" Troy said as he made his way through the office. Demi had soft music playing in the background while she went through one of her case files, but she still heard him so she put her blazer back on before following the train of people to the biggest conference room on the floor. Once everyone was inside, Troy started to speak.

"So as you all know, our Bill of Rights dinner is coming up and this year we're recognizing individuals committed to the protection of civil liberties and advocacy for equal rights. Usually we try to surprise the person we've selected for our annual achievement award, but this year we're honoring none other than Demi Lovato," Troy announced, causing Demi's eyes to widen as everyone in the conference room started to clap for her.

"Demi, I know public speaking isn't your favorite thing but if you could please prepare a speech that would be great," Troy finished off as Demi nodded. Everyone stared to leave the room, congratulating her on their way out, until it was just her and Troy left.

"Thank you so much for this," Demi breathed out as he wrapped her up in a brief hug.

"If anyone deserves this, it's you. Congratulations." Troy kissed her cheek before he left the room as well.

Demi sat down at the table as she realized that all she wanted to do was run back to her office and tell Trey about her award. Yeah, she told her dad and Monique about things that she had achieved, but Trey was the one she really gushed to whenever something good happened in her life. She just loved sharing stuff like that with him, but he had been staying in a hotel for the past few days and they hadn't exactly been talking to each other. As much as what he said burned and she was still hurt by him, it was hard not to forgive him simply because she hated being away from him. Demi sighed as she walked back to her office and closed the door. To call Trey, or to not call Trey?

Kayla was home when she heard the door downstairs open and close, then heavy footsteps that seemed to go into the kitchen. She grabbed her phone and crept down the stairs only to see Trey cuddled up with Kane in the middle of the living room. Trey had been gone for the past few days, only coming back for a brief hour during the day when he knew that Demi wasn't there. Demi didn't know and Kayla certainly didn't tell her because it was none of her business and technically, this was still Trey's house.

"Hey," Trey greeted as he picked Kane up and turned towards her.

"Hey."

"Demi let you stay here by yourself?"

"It's better than going to her office. The people she works with are weird," Kayla responded, causing Trey to chuckle.

"So what do you do all day?"

"Watch TV. Play on my phone. Swim," Kayla shrugged as Trey shook his head.

"Text Demi and tell her I'll have you home by your bedtime," Trey said as he set Kane back down.

"I don't have a bedtime. Where are we going?"

"It's a surprise. But wear comfortable shoes," he said before going into the kitchen.

Kayla was dying to get out of the house so she ran upstairs, put her converse on, and then ran back downstairs where Trey was waiting for her. They got into his car and drove off to wherever he was taking them.

"So how is she?"

"You haven't talked to her?"

"I'm giving her the space she wants. I've learned not to push her when she doesn't want to be bothered. Is she okay?"

"Yeah, she's fine. She misses you though, I can tell."

"Just because she misses me doesn't mean she's ready to forgive me," Trey said, his fist clenching around the steering wheel.