12

Sorry. I'm sorry for the slow updates. I'm also sorry that this chapter feels rushed (to me). Tuesdays are days where I just want to get home from University and sleep for 12 hours straight. I feel like I've used up all of my brain's capacity for work today, so I apologise in advance if my writing is affected by it.

Please tell me if you spot something out that's a mistake - I'm a meticulous kind of person. When I publish, I go and read the chapter in my book just to comb through for mistakes that I can fix - because it irritates and annoys me to no end... but in my state, I'll probably publish then just go to sleep so please tell me if you find any mistakes and I'll fix them when I've had my sleep.

"Lord Hokage." Itachi spoke out. The Third Hokage raised his head from his paperwork to observe the Uchiha prodigy.
"Yes, what is it?" He spoke out. Itachi cleared his throat.
"I have reason to believe that Naruto Uzumaki is in danger." Itachi said. The Third Hokage leaned forward, fully interested.
"Go on." He ordered.
"I overheard some people in my father's room plotting the assassination of Naruto Uzumaki." Itachi said and the Hokage sighed.
"Were you able to recognise any of the voices?" He asked. Itachi shook his head.
"No."

-----

Naruto sighed. Things were not going according to plan. He'd started off training, but somehow he'd ended up being dragged with his cousin into the shopping district. Karin always seemed fascinated by the many items for sale. As such, Naruto was currently holding three bags. While waiting for Karin outside another shop. He sighed as he watched Karin talk to the merchant, not seeming to notice the merchants roaming eyes. He frowned but didn't say anything. They laughed about something before Karin exited the shop, holding another two bags. Naruto groaned.
"So do you really need to buy this much stuff?" Naruto asked. Karin nodded.
"Of course." She replied as they began to walk off.
"Naruto." They both stopped when they heard someone speak his name. Turning around, they came face to face with Gaara and his two siblings, and Naruto and Temari avoided each other's eyes.
"Gaara." Naruto greeted. Both sides looked at each other for a bit.
"Are you coming to watch us in the finals?" Gaara asked and Naruto nodded. The red head then turned to look at Karin.
"Huh?" She asked, a little dazed. She subconsciously fixed her glasses.
"The Chunin exam finals." Gaara repeated while Naruto nudged her in the ribs. Karin spluttered and coughed.
"Oh, I'm ... YES." Karin finally managed to say, before glaring at Naruto who was laughing.
"Ok then we'll see you three there." Naruto said as he walked off with Karin. Temari and Kankuro walked several steps before they realised Gaara hadn't moved.
"Gaara." They both said, startling him and breaking him out of his trance.
"Oh, sorry." He said as he walked over to them. They both gave him strange looks but he didn't say anything. Gaara contemplated himself as they walked over the training grounds. Chunin exam finals were within a day, and then he'd be competing to win.

"So Karin." Naruto said as he looked at his cousin. She stiffened and didn't say anything.
"What was all that about?" He teased her, and watched as she grew red.
"Shut up!" Was all she could say as she stomped on ahead, back to their house.

-----

"Lord Hokage. The Kazekage is an imposter." Gaara said. Hiruzen looked up sharply. His eyes narrowed.
"And you are telling me this because...?" He asked.
"I can sense it from his chakra. It's malicious, and evil and feels slippery, like a snake." Gaara said.
"Orochimaru... what does he intend to do?" He asked.
"He wants to attack the Leaf during the Chunin exam finals." Gaara said.
"Hmm... under the guise of the Kazekage?"
"Yes."
"Alright. Notify all of the Sand Ninja of this development, Gaara. You've done the right thing and you have probably prevented a lot of casualties. Meanwhile, do you know where he is?"
"No. He's been missing for a few days now."
"Very well. I'll send my ANBU out to look for him."