Chapter Twelve

"Where daddy?" 

Zayn chuckled while looking at two year old Damian who was sitting in his lap and staring at him with wide blue eyes.

"I'm right here bub."

"No, not you daddy, daddy?"

It only took Zayn a few seconds to realize who Damian was talking about and even less time for him to start freaking out. He quickly sat Damian up and cradled his face in his hands to look his straight in the eyes. 

"Baby, Alex is not your daddy, okay? You call him Alex not daddy."

Damian stared at him confused because daddy loves him and takes care of him when he gets a booboo and is scared but so does Alex, so therefore Alex must be daddy too.

"But Alex is dadd-"

"No, Damian Alex isn't your daddy. Please do this for me, just call him Alex yeah? Alex is his name, my name is Daddy that's why you call me daddy."

Damian stared at Zayn for a while trying to make sense of what he was just told but his little two year old mind couldn't make sense of it so he just shrugged and climbed out of Zayn's lap and took off to where Elijah was. 

Later that night when Alex came home from work, Damian dropped everything and ran to him like he usually does while Elijah stayed playing with his toys. Damian was always closer to Alex while Elijah stayed away; as Zayn watched he prayed Damian understood what he said about what to call Alex an as if Damian was thinking the same thing he turned to look at Zayn. 

Zayn smiled tightly and almost choked when Damian opened his mouth only to say, "Missed you Alex" before wrapping his arms around his neck and holding him tight.

Alex helped raise the boys, yes, but Zayn never wanted his boys to be confused as to who their father was. Even back then he knew he would tell Louis one day, preferably on his death bed, but one day. 

***

Instead of only taking fifteen minutes to drive to Louis house, it took Zayn almost forty-five minutes because he had to pull over a few times to stop crying. He was confused and hurt, he thought he could trust Alex thought that Alex wouldn't do to him what Louis did. He might not have been in love with Alex  (and he might have kissed Louis twice) but he loved him and Zayn would've settled for that if it meant he didn't have to worry about being heart broken again. 

Eventually, Zayn pulled in to the front drive and put his SUV in park, as soon as he did two people came running out of the front door. Thinking he didn't exactly want to be held by Louis right now, Liam ran up and wrapped his arms tightly around Zayn's body and whispered soothing words in his ears while Louis opened the back door of the Range Rover and slowly and carefully removed the two sleeping boys and took them in to his house. 

Once Zayn's sobbing became silent tears, Liam lead him inside and sat him on Louis' oversized sofa.

"What happened Zayn?" Liam spoke softly while wiping a tear of Zayn's cheek with the pad of his thumb

He took a deep breath to collect himself, he didn't want to cry anymore. He was tired of being weak "It was like Louis all over again, Liam." he paused looking him in the eye "The boys are the ones that found him, I don't even know what they saw, I didn't ask." Zayn looked around the lounge room "Where are the boys, are they still in the car? Liam we left them in the car?" he slightly panicked