The Same Encounter With The Same Heartbreak

~~💀~~

"...Hey...?"

I stood there, our gazes locking together.

"Hi."

I subtly cleared my non-existent throat, then continued.

"N-Nice day...isn't it?"

~~💔~~

   What kind of response is, "NICE DAY, ISN'T IT"??????? I blinked for the first time in a while, then smiled. "It's nice." 

   Silence crept back into the atmosphere as we both stood there. Seconds turned into minutes. Minutes turned into hours.
Finally, he broke the  silence. 

   "You know, I found your puns a bit HUMERUS." 

   I paused, processing the situation. Then, I chuckled lightly. "Oh did you really? I did put a SKELETON of effort into them." My smile grew wider as I heard soft chuckling. 

   "TIBIA honest, I think I can do a lot better than you." The stranger challenged teasingly, a childish edge to his behavior. 

   "Oh, do you wanna go? 'Cus I can tickle your funny bone any day of the week." 

   "Oh? Can you really? Or are you just a bonehead?" 

   This lasted a lot longer than I imagined. First, I would toss a pun, then he would counter it with his own. It was amazing. It felt so nice. It felt so...familiar? After a while, we were silently sitting against a tree, too tired to continue our amazing battle. 

   "Hey, I don't think I have ever seen you around here. What's your name?" For some odd reason, my new pal seemed to stiffen at this question. He slowly sat up from the tree, then looked at me rather intensely. 

~~💀~~

I stared straight at him.
"Uhhhhh...?"

   Something was wrong. I remember that question. I remember...someone.  Someone which gave me a name... "Well...you can just call me Sans, I guess." 

   The other looked completely shocked for a moment, before bursting into laughter. 

   "Wha-?  What is it?" 

   "It's your name! We have the exact same name!" His grin was comically big now and his eyes shown as if they were stars in the night sky. You could probably get lost in them...

   WAITAMINUTE, WHAT!??!?!

~~💔~~

   My laughing started to subside after a while. When that time came, I held out my hand.
"Well, it was nice to meet you, Sans." 

   He looked at my bony fingers, before nodding in agreement. "Uh...yeah. Same." 

   "C'mon pal. My arm is getting tired." 

   He shook his head. "Sorry. I don't shake hands." 

   I rose a non-existent eyebrow, but waved the thought off. If it was personal problem, then I should drop it. 

   "Well, I have to go back to my brother. I'll see you later. Maybe." He slowly nodded, before  I gave him one last wink, then snapped my fingers to leave.

~~~

   "Hey, Papyrus, What's u-" I paused. Strange. I thought that he would be here. I guess he saw them and already showed them ahead. What an amazing brother. Well, since he isn't here...maybe he is at the house? I snapped my fingers once more, disappearing from my current location. 

   Once I arrived, I was met with a ghost town. No one was here. That's...odd? I glanced around the shops, the Inn, the Library (Or the Librarby. They should change that sign), then finally our home.  Nothing. I stopped at one shop, and caught sight of a note. Picking it up, I scanned over it's words. 

   That is when it hit me.
The same power as if a train ran you over. Immediately, I ran through the deadly silent town towards his last patrol area.
Please...PLEASE LET HIM BE ALIVE.

~~~

   I stopped as I watched the human stare blankly at Papyrus. Papyrus... He held his loving arms open to them, a gentle and sweet smile plastered onto his face. They slowly started to draw nearer. I stopped, grinning.

Maybe...they will spare him?
Maybe...I was just panicking.

Everything is okay.
Everything is alright.
There is nothing wrong.
Frisk fell into his arms, embracing him tightly. They hugged him dearly, holding Papyrus in their arms gently. I eased.
Everything is alright...
Everything is okay...

*You equipped the Toy Knife.

I felt the air become colder.

-99999999999999999999999999999999999999999

   "aha...AhaHa....AHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" They cackled, taking in sharp breathes. Papyrus wore a ghostly expression.  His tear-filled eyes met mine, speechless. He then smiled sweetly, hugging the human tighter.

   "Y-You...can do...a little better............if you just.......try.......I...believe in you......." He met my gaze one last time, before shutting his eyes, and fading to silver dust.

You can do a little better, Sans. Just a little better. I believe you can.