A Familiar Red Spot

~~💔~~

It wasn't until Hotland when Undyne began to slow down. She wheezed a strangled breathe, attempting to carry on in the overwhelming heat. However, her armor felt as if it was on fire, forcing her to stop. Sans weakly looked up at Undyne, his gaze content and understanding. 

Slowly...
pieces of his bones crumbled to dust. 

Undyne awoke from her tired trance, staring at the flakes. With a quick breathe, she sprinted to the bridge, bouncing on it unsteadily. Along the way, two guards were talking near the entrance of the elevator. They noticed Undyne, straightening up for her arrival. 

"C-CAPTAIN! IT'S A SURPRISE TO SEE YOU HERE!" The one on the left stuttered. "WHAT BRINGS YOU OUT HE-"
He stopped in his words as Undyne whisked by them, not even sparing them a glance. The other guard caught sight of the dusting monster in her arms. 

Realization flooded over the two, sadness quickly following behind it. 

Sans, a monster that they become accustomed to, was fighting painful death.

~~~

Alphys' claws tapped nervously on the equipment. She had hooked up all of the necessary machines to Sans' soul, checking on his vitals constantly since Undyne had brought him in. The fish monster was passing back and forth behind Alphys. 

"W-What happened t-to him, Undyne?" Alphys asked, her eyes still locked onto the screen. 

Undyne stopped in her tracks. "I...I'm not sure. When Papyrus had called me about a human, I told him I would be there...and...and when I was close to the area...I heard a yell...and...I ran to find Sans like that, a human's decapitated body, and...and....." Undyne couldn't bring herself to say the next sentence. 

Alphys looked over at Undyne, worry in her expression. "And What...?" 

Undyne took a small breathe. "...Dust. Dust on...on Papyrus' scarf in the snow." 

Alphys brought both hands to her gaping mouth, her eyes wide.
"W-WHAT?" She gasped. 

Undyne sadly nodded. "Yeah..." 

Silence plagued the lab, the soft whirring of instruments echoing through the halls. Alphys took in a shaky breathe, then turned back to Sans' vital monitor. "W-Well...to change t-the topic, I discovered something." 

Undyne strode over to Alphys. "Discovered something?" 

"Y-Yeah...with Sans' s-soul." She pointed to her monitor, Undyne staring at it with surprise.

" She pointed to her monitor, Undyne staring at it with surprise

"...What is that?" Undyne motioned to the red section. 

Alphys went silent.

She knew completely what that red was. She recognized it immediately when she laid eyes on it. 

Determination. 

"I-It's...complicated." 

Undyne huffed, but didn't ask for an explanation. "Well....I'll go then. I need to get...'Papyrus' ready for when Sans gets up."
Undyne walked over to a nearby table, grabbed a jar, and headed for the door. 

"Y-Yeah..." Alphys muttered, peering up at Sans' unconscious body. "See you, Undyne." 

The lab doors closed softly, leaving Alphys and Sans alone in the empty silence.