Hard To Get [I]

Special request by love2138 💕
I hope I did your idea justice. It was a good one.

"Would you like to pay it forward?"

"Sure, why not. I'm feeling generous, plus its pay day." I said with a casual shrug of the shoulders as I started to dig through my purse for my wallet. 

"How much would you like to pay?"

I thought about it a little before saying, "I'll do twenty."

"Alright, your total will be twenty-five eighty-two."

"Ah, a month without Starbucks. I'll have to savor this last drink."

"I'm sure you'll be back."

"I just spent my Starbucks money for the month." I told the woman behind the register since she automatically assumed I'm just made of money and that I can afford my Starbucks addiction while I'm poor. She's probably right, I probably will be back with the loose change I managed to find in my couch and on the streets... "But it is worth it for a good cause. You never know what kind of day someone is having and who wouldn't like to get something free?"

"Exactly. Would you like your receipt?"

"Sure." She handed me my receipt. I smiled and thanked her and walked over to the pickup area where I waited for my drink. While waiting, I ran a hand through my hair and with the other hand, I pulled out the phone to keep me occupied.

"I suppose I owe you dinner then."

Both startled and confused, I looked up. "Huh?" I said as my eyes landed on the person in front of me. He was tall, no doubt the six foot three I had read him to be. His beard was gone and he had a beautiful smile on his face that revealed his set of crooked teeth. 

"You bought my coffee. I believe the least I can do is take you out for dinner."

"No," it's fine." I said as I shook my head.

"Iced white chocolate mocha!"

I turned to retrieve my drink.

"I insist." He said to my back as I busied myself with sticking my straw in my drink.

"You don't have to."

"I overheard you over there, it will make me feel less guilty about this drink." He said while pointing to his own which had just arrived.

"How about no dinner," I said. "I would feel guilty about it."

"Then what do you suggest?"

"What do I suggest?" I had to think about that one. "What I suggest is that we forget about this little moment and just go about our lives as if just two strangers going from one place to the next... or something like that." I shook my head. "Anyway, you're welcome for the coffee. Don't worry about it." And with that, I tried to make a run for it... well more like I power walked out of the cafe. 

"Hey!" Why? 

Pretending I did not hear him, I continued on my way through the parking lot toward the tiny little beat up Dodge Shadow I received from my Grandmother since she got a new car. I cursed myself the moment I reached the car and frantically began searching my massive, overstuffed purse for my car keys. 

"Looking for these?" the familiar voice sounded from behind me. 

I closed my eyes and took a deep, relaxing breath. Why did God hate me? 

Slowly opening my eyes and turning around, I found him standing there with my keys dangling up in the air as he held them at eye level for me to see. 

"Did I leave them in there?" I asked suddenly feeling ashamed of myself for being in such a hurry to ditch this guy that I totally forgot I pulled my keys out of my purse just so I could stuff my wallet back in it. 

"Indeed you did," he replied as he held them out and dropped them into the palm of my hand once I held out my hand. "I believe, now you owe me."

"Nooo." Shit, did I just say that out loud? I quickly covered my mouth, eyes wide as I stared at him. 

"No," he was grinning. If I had offended him in any way, he was surely good at hiding it. "I will not take no for an answer this time. You owe me since I gave you your keys." 

"I bought you coffee." 

"And you refused to let me pay you back." 

"But you did," I held up the keys. "see? You gave me back my keys because I'm such a ditz and I left them."

He shook his head, his lips stilled curved into an irresistible smile. "Please," he said. "I'm begging you, let me take you out for one dinner." He held up his hand to stop me from speaking. "If I can not convince you that I am not just some creep trying to hit on you and that you want to continue on as strangers, then I will let it be. Just as long as you go on at least one date with me." 

He was good, really good, but he was also an actor so of course he was good. I sighed and crossed my arms since I had long ago placed my coffee on the roof of my car. "Okay," I said as I leaned against the old car. "Fine. You win. I'll go on a date with you. But only because you said we can go back to being strangers afterward." 

"Right, so what's your name and number?"

"Can I ask you something?" 

"Anything." 

"You don't really do much of the pursuing the girl, do you?" 

Henry's smile faltered as he stared at me. "Is it that obvious?" 

"Yeeeah," I replied. "You try to get the name before you try to take the girl out to dinner. And then, you delicately transition from asking her out for dinner to getting her number so you can keep in contact to set up a date."

"Can I ask you something?" I raised my brows in response. "What is your name?" 

I pursed my lips and stared at him. Should I tell him my real name or should I make up one? After realizing I was hesitating too long, I sighed softly, uncrossed my arms and said, "Rose."

Henry tilted his head and from that tilt, I could see he was having a hard time believing me, but he didn't bother to press on any further about it so instead, he said, "Rose, will you do me the honor of accompanying me to dinner this Friday evening?" 

"Sure." I replied with a slight eye roll because I knew where this was going. 

"May I have your number so that I can text you?"

"Look, you can have my first born child at this point as long as I can finally get in my car and go home." 

"I'll remember that," he said with a smirk as he leaned forward. Henry placed his right arm on the roof of my car and with his left, he pulled out his phone and was about to hand it to me until he realized he had to unlock it himself since he was the one with the password.

Without another word to protest this any longer, I entered my number and was about to save it under my real name until I remembered I lied about that so I quickly deleted my name and saved it under Rose. Then I debated about changing it to something mean, but I figured Rose was mean enough since it was a lie. Lies were mean. 

"There ya go," I said as I handed him back his phone. "Now goodbye." 

I turned to unlock my car door and slid into the car. Just when I was about to shut the door, Henry stopped it and pulled it open. 

"Forgot something, Rose." 

Looking up, I saw him holding my drink. "Oh," I started to laugh, "Right... of course... that would have been bad... thank you." 

"I believe that's your first born child, you now owe me." He said while shutting my door. With a small wave, Henry turned to walk away.

I watched him in the rearview mirror until he was no longer in my line of sight. Then, I slouched into my seat and exhaled the breath I had been holding in. Shit.